Confirm switch wiring, please

Probably repeated in other parts of the installation.

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

"Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Yes, you actually are that stupid. His setup does require 6 wires and clearly the yellow wire had come adrift and all it needed was to put it back where it had come out of.

Some work is shoddy

In his case there is nothing like that, just one terminal not fully screwed in.

Yeah, best to demolish the house and start again on a bare block of land.

Reply to
Steven

"Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Because that screw had not been fully tightened initially.

Reply to
Steven

Which is what I think has happened, I have checked others at various times when decorating and always make sure the screws are tight. Other than that I leave things as they are. The wiring is probably original from the late 80s when the house was built.

Reply to
ss

At least you do seem to have a level of awareness.

Shoddy work can lead to unreliability and danger. There are acceptable standards to any job, there are no excuses for not adhering to them.

If it was a quality job, all the terminals would not be screwed in.

As only one terminal is unscrewed in the system, are we to assume that Schrodingers pussy tipped the balance?

Quality job or not, every part of that circuit would be checked were I to have responsibility for the property or work.

What makes you say that? It's just exaggeration, which is another word for lying. Are you a Brexiter?

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

I can well imagine AB sucking teeth, shaking head, and advising homeowner that he really needs to inspect every connection in every switch, socket etc in the the house else there's a risk of the entire household (and the neighbours too if there's gas in use) suffering a fatal accident.

Reply to
Robin

I didn't say that. Try to keep to the thread.

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

"Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

But it is clear that 6 wires are involved, so it can't be your config.

I have never seen yellow used in a

Not when there are 6 wires involved, a common config used in that situation.

There isnt when there are clearly 6 wires involved and one of them has clearly come adrift from where it would be in a 6 wire config.

Reply to
Steven

But they look like 50% of the thousands of two way switches I have seen.

Reply to
ARW

Er, sorry I didn't think it necessary to explain. One two way switch = 3 wires Two two way switches = six wires, or maybe five and a link.

Anyway if I'm forgiven for my overestimation of your abilities perhaps you would care to use this.

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

RGB?

Ones exposure to domestic wiring is a trifle limited, but I have not come across those colours in a home before.

Whatever the colour, cables do not just "drop out".

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

RYB.

I did not watch them on TV.

Reply to
ARW

"Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

But it isn't actually viable to completely redo all the terminals in the entire house now. Given that the wiring standards are fail safe by design, it make more sense to fix any others that do fail when they do.

Reply to
Steven

I stand corrected. Apologies, although I must admit I saw the insides of a lot more TV sets than light switches :-)

What happens if the phases are switched, does the room go darker in the daytime?

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

"Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Yes, you actually are stupid enough to redo every single termination in the entire house to ensure that no other wire was nicked at installation.

Reply to
Steven

"Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Yes you did, just a moment ago, to me.

And don't try claiming that that says circuit, because the same argument applies to every circuit in the entire house.

Reply to
Steven

I hope none of the high-integrity equipment you inspected contained screw terminals. They are not reliable.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

You steamin' great pillock! Fail safe by design?? No such bloody thing unless you are working to ATEX standards.

Have you seen a glass rod conduct electricity to the point where it melts and arcs.

Have you examined insulation that has been drenched and suddenly become conductive.

Wothout an earth path the MCB has no clue whether the couple of kW is a genuine heating element or a L-N leakage path.

Likewise although a switch alone is perfectly capable of providing an audio visual indication of a gas build up, a loose connection will give the indication a lot earlier and with a higher level of success.

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

So I believe!

To be honest though, although having seen the youtube video of various connectors being tested to destruction, the new Wago style connectors dont fill me with confidence. One cannot dispute the evidence and documentation though, but I don't feel absolutely confident using Wagos.

I think for the time being I'll stick to JB's. I really do like the challenge of trying to match the holes to the cables in those round boxes.

Come to think of it, a 30A JB was not included in the test to destruction. I would guess that the cables would go first.

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

"Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Doesn't happen in the sort of house the fault was in.

The RCBO system fails safe in that situation.

Isnt going to happen with that 2 way light switch circuit.

Yeah, yeah, the entire house should be completely rewired now that that one wire was clearly not as competently done as it should have been.

Easy to see why no one would employ you in britain and you had to move to ireland and then even they noticed how unemployable you are.

Reply to
Steven