Condenser Dyrer - water pump

Have a Hotpoint TCM570 here, and wondering about the operation of the water pump, the pump at the back-bottom that pumps the condensate up to the drawer.

When the machine is operating, is the water pump supposed to be on continuously?

When I was stripping it down to fully clean it out (previous owner had operated it with a ruptured filter, and fluff had gotten into the system clogging it up), when I looked at the pump and associated bits, I initially thought the float and switch might have been to trigger the pump to come on to empty that sump, but since the pump is continuously on, was then thinking the float and switch were to trigger the red warning light at the front (to empty the drawer), and turn off the heating coils, to prevent the water sump from overfilling.

Anyone able to clarify this for me? Thanks.

Reply to
tmcwboards