Concrete Roof for Shed

Hi. Before I demolished it our outside toilet had a concrete roof. I want to have the same thing on my shed which is about

6.5 feet square. Will I have to make my own or are they available to buy?

Thanks.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur 51

What's the shed made of? Won't it collapse under the weight - if not straight away, later when you're inside?

Reply to
Roger Mills

The shed is made from 6" breeze blocks.

Reply to
Arthur 51

Sorry.

2 wall are 6" blocks. 2 walls are double brick...its an old terraced house with yard.
Reply to
Arthur 51

Ah, so it's not quite what most people would think of as a shed! I doubt whether you'll find a ready-made one-pice concrete roof to fit - and if you did, you wouldn't be able to lift it. I'm no expert, but most concrete roofs I've seen seem to be made of a lot of concrete beams - possibly pre-stressed lintels - laid side by side, with the whole thing then being covered by a further layer of poured concrete, or maybe screed.

Reply to
Roger Mills

I knew that if I was to buy a product from somewhere or make it myself I would be using something like 18 - 24" wide by 8 feet.

Seen anything like this kind of thing anywhere?

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur 51

you havent given us any construction details, so I dont see how we can know what youre trying to reproduce. Asking about a concrete roof is like asking how to make a leather garment.

NT

Reply to
NT

I need concrete panels that will safely span a 6 feet gap. For handling purposes they will need to have a maximum width of 2 feet.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur 51

No, but if it does exist, it will be bl**dy heavy - bearing in mind that a 2 x 2 pressed granite (concrete) slab weighs around a hundredweight.

Have you Googled for "Concrete roof"? If so, you've probably found items like

for "Suspended concrete floor" may also be worthwhile, because you could use the same sort of construction method. You could probably make a roof like this:

Roger Mills

Build wooden shuttering and support with props.

lay a layer of stuff mortar on it, followed by rebar.

The fill up with stiff concrete and smooth..?

Problem is the pitch really..the concrete wants to slump..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Keeps the chavs away.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I would, but only because my grandparents shed had had a roof made of about

15 to 18" of reinforced concrete - however it was built as an air-raid shelter!

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

They have to be made in-situ. I've just had one made for a flat roof extension to a second home. The roof will become a roof-terrace. It was made from pre-stressed concrete beams which have a lightweight block inserted between the beams. Then reinforcing grid is laid across the entire roof surface, wired together and concrete is poured. It's not cheap.

Reply to
Steve Firth

6' x 1' concrete gravel boards are piggin hard work for two men to carry, let alone lift to roof height.
Reply to
The Medway Handyman

use a crane..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If you really want panels, corrugated asbestos is the thing - or the modern replacement thereof. Bolt it down and someone's your uncle.

Another option is to pour a solid slab. Put thin ply down, leaving most of the top of the wal uncoverd, prop the ply temporarily on the inside, using horizontal timber with the props. Add shuttering round the outside of the top of the wall, pour concrete, lay down rebar and pour more. Simple.... but not easy, its a whole lot of weight to lift.

NT

Reply to
NT

In message , Arthur 51 writes

What about panels from a pre cast garage wall, or even coal bunker, if they are large enough? May be worth trying Freecycle.

Reply to
Graeme