[?]Concrete fence post repair - is there a suitable filler?

Never heard of epoxy coated rebar then? Fence posts frequently use smooth steel rod, with the end folded into a U shape. It's the ends which provide the location strength, there is very little bond to the rod. Two bolts run through this post, they'd benefit from a bit of slip if you ever had to remove them.

Reply to
Capitol

The correct technical term is "f***ed".

Reply to
ARW

Many thanks for that practical suggestion. For the cost of a small bag of ready-mixed concrete and a bit of shuttering here's the result and I'm well pleased with it:-

All the best - Dave.

Reply to
Dave Chapman

Sounds good

404 unfortunately
Reply to
Andy Burns

It is *now*

Reply to
Andy Burns

Nice result!

Reply to
Tim Watts

Give it a quick rub-down with an angle grinder and the job's a good'un.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Give it a quick rub-down with an angle grinder and the job's a good'un/q

I'd be inclined to let it cure for a few weeks before setting the ag on it... or just paint with yoghurt / cowsh1t and let nature tone it down for you?

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

I have an idea. cover the post tightly with heavy chicken-wire epoxy it at few points, form around and pore epoxy based concrete to shape.

Reply to
flametreelane

Ah - half term and bored?

Reply to
David

Suspect he didn't notice the date on the OP.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

replying to Capitol, Jomo wrote: Does this mean you shutter the original post?

Reply to
Jomo

posted on June 27, 2014, 11:12 am I have a concrete fence post which has cracked, although at the moment it still supports the fence, see the two pictures at:- concretepost01

and... concretepost02
Digging out the post to completely replace it will be a real pain since it is set in a concrete base so I was wondering if there is a suitable filler that I can purchase and then 'pour' into the cracks to reinforce the post and prevent further crumbling. Any thoughts/suggestions will be much appreciated. TIA - Dave.

Hmm, yet another lamb to the slaughter of the weird year ignoring home owners club portal to usenet. I have had a post split for longer than this and its still holding together, and actually looks quite rustic, as apposed to rusty where the metal is! grin Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Reply to
kentwigg41
2014? Brian
Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Hello!

Posting to an old thread here, with a new similar question. Original photos no loner online so cannot see how relevant my situation is, my own photos are on the same question posted to the MSF here:

I have a broken concrete fence post. Having looked at various forums, it looks like the best thing to do is to dig it out and replace. There are also a few threads about fixing with epoxy, jacketing the post, etc. Unfortunately I cannot dig as I have a sick tree at risk of falling on lots of things, situated practically next to the post and whose roots I do not want to disturb until it is felled in November.

As you can see in the photos, the post has essentially been snapped off at the base (a large dead branch fell on it) so any repairs unlikely to last long.

So my question is, has anyone tried demolishing/breaking what is left of the post and its concrete anchor in the ground? I am thinking that I need to break enough concrete to make room for a new post. I will then need only a little more concrete to fix it to the existing ground anchor.

I am thinking of an electric breaker like

Is there any reason this would not work? I realise the existing post?s rebars will be a little in the way but should be able to work around them. Hopefully not have to move the gravel boards either.

Thank you!

Reply to
amohazab

Surely it's cheaper to buy an sds drill than hire. Could you make life easier by waiting until the tree goes? As for repairing it, no way really. You can cast new crete on but it won't last.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Well I am assuming I can do it in a couple of hours (if that) with a dedicated breaker costing me about £35 per day. The cheapest dedicate breaker to buy is about £150.which is obviously much better value for money, but I just can?t imagine ever needing a proper breaker again, hence the rental idea. I can buy a sds hammer drill combination which would be more useful in future, but not sure how long it would take to punch a hole in the concrete with a light machine.

All the same, apparently it is still really hard work even with a large dedicated demolishing hammer...

Ideally I will try to remove he tree sooner, but I am at the mercy of tree surgeons...

Reply to
amohazab

I think it is exceedingly unlikely that you would be able to make a hole in the concrete base around the old post without cracking the whole base. Tthe centre is strongly supported in compression by the periphery. The only thing that might be possible is a stitching circle of drilled holes all the way round the post and right the way through the concrete base. But even then breaking the concrete between the holes with a long chisel enough to extract the post would be hard. And at some point in this process the base is going to split. It would be much harder than breaking up the base from the periphery, which you apparently don't want to do for fear of disturbing the tree,

Reply to
Roger Hayter