Compulsary New Radiators

I don't believe it is possible to have gas installed, and entire boiler+rads+controls+pipes for £1100. £11,000 very possibly and half of that for providing gas to the property.

Reply to
Andrew

As more and more coal and nuclear plants close, the availability of 'unwanted' off peak power diminishes.

I suspect the only suitable replacement in future will the OctopusAgile tarriff that gives you advance notice of what your hourly rate will be so you can plan your usage.

One of the Tims seems to have this tarriff. I would be interested to know what sort of hourly rate he was paying through the recent cold snap. The Octopus website only gives historical data up to about 6 months ago.

++1
Reply to
Andrew

Does someone in the HA get kickbacks from the installer who quoted far more than he would get away with where a private customer is concerned ?

Reply to
Andrew

Which company/tariff ?

Reply to
Andrew

It would obviously depend on a survey of exactly the situation, but that looks a reasonable starting point for an air source heap pump.

Running costs should be a lot lower than electric storage heaters. Installation costs would be high, but if someone else is funding that... It would be fairly invasive (in terms of installing pipes, radiators, etc) but then so would any wet heating system (eg oil needing a tank installing as well).

Would underfloor heating be feasible to install? That would save on having big radiators (the bigger the radiators the more efficient it is).

Will the HA handle maintenance of the system, or is that up to you?

Theo

Reply to
Theo

I was told it aids circulation in the room, evening up the temperature. Although suspect it was just a convenient place to put it in many rooms.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

and then replace the stuck down floor covering

Reply to
charles

+1

Replacing the existing storage heaters with modern ones in living rooms and fitting panel radiators in bedrooms is the optimum solution and should be the cheapest to install as the circuits are already in place.

Reply to
Jack Harry Teesdale

Indeed, which is why storage heaters aren't an obvious win in the current situation, and not necessarily a great plan for the future.

18 months worth of data.

It appears the last couple of weeks have been hitting the 35p/unit price cap for several hours in the morning, as well as the evening peak. It's been about 12p during the night.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

The cost of the gas supply was £1100, which was what I paid. £600 of that was scaffolding, and there was already gas to the flat below so the live pipe was outside on the wall already - which I checked before buying the flat. It would have been more if any trenching or opening the highway was involved.

Boiler+rads+controls+pipes were 100% grant funded by the Scottish Govt. Had I been a bit more canny with the grant application timing I might have got the supply paid for as well. So the cost *to me* was £1100.

I had to push a bit as they wanted to give me new storage heaters at first, as I was previously all-electric.

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

My gas is 2.3p/kWh so your E7 is 4x the price of gas

Reply to
alan_m

The radiators will probably prevent the doors opening fully.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Funny Lingus brought next idea :

Heat sources under windows in the conventional place to have them, because it counteracts the cold draft resulting from cooled air falling down a window. Rooms with two windows will likely have two radiators, for the same reason. Blown air heating always has the air outlets under windows.

Heating is not nearly as effective, if radiators are mounted at other locations in a room.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

On 13/01/2021 21:25, Harry Bloomfield wrote: <snip>

Always? My parents' house had hot air heat, and not _one_ of the outlets/vents was under a window. They were all on inside walls, except for a couple which were set into the floor.

Reply to
S Viemeister

More likely convenience of ducting from the heat source. My wife had a '60's built flat which had a central *off peak* storage bank and radiating ceiling ducts to the nearest corner of the room to be heated. When we converted to a gas boiler, the radiators were put under the windows.

Reply to
Tim Lamb