three consumer units in new house

Just moved into a property that has three consumer units, and want to shift one of them to turn the room into a shower.

The main box is an old fashioned metal box with blade fuses - this is fed from a huge box in the basement with a big isolator handle on (which in turn gets fed from the meter in an outside wall utility box).

Out of the main box come two 16mm2 meter tails that go downstairs (about 6 feet distance) to a modern rcd box feeding the circuits in the extension.

Also out of the main box is a thick (about an inch thick) black cable which goes to the third modern consumer unit. this feeds other circuits plus the garage outside.

questions - I'm going to replace the old fuse box with a modern split box and shift it a few feet, meaning most of the circuits will need to be extended to reach it.

As the consumer unit downstairs just feeds half a dozen low voltage lighting circuits and a ring main, do I really need to use meter tails to wire it back to the upstairs box?

Same with the thick black cable to the third box - I'm assuming this is an armoured cable?

It was a builder who owned the house, and I think he's added bits from various job left-overs.

Any help appreciated

Jim

Reply to
Jim Main

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 10:51:03 -0000, "Jim Main" strung together this:

I think basically the answer is yes, depending on the question! From what you say I would probably be inclined to work towards running all the circuits to one location if the existing three fuse boards aren't too far apart, or at least compcting it down to two. It does sound like it's a bit lashed together with anything the previous owner could lay his hands on. WRT cable sizes for the submain, if the board at the other end is not doing a lot then a 10mm 40\50A supply would probably suffice.

Reply to
Lurch