Compact combis

I'm trying to find a combi that will fit in the very small kitchen of the very small flat I'm considering buying.

The space on the only external wall in the kitchen is very tight -- about 18-20 inches. Is there a compact combi that would fit? Alternatively - is it possible to put the combi on an internal wall, and run the flue to the external wall? What would be the likely limitations in terms of distance from the external wall?

At the moment the flat has a cylinder in an airing cupboard and something called a Thorne Apollo boiler on the kitchen wall. This flat is so small, it would really help if I could get rid of the cylinder.

Much thanks for any advice.

Reply to
Ellen Mizzell

Most are around 400mm wide (that's 16"). It may be salient to consider the route a gas pipe may need to take when positioning the combi, it will most likely need to be 22mm diameter from the meter, but you may find the smallest combi can manage with a 15mm gas supply pipe.

You should be able to fit the boiler to a side wall and run the flue to the external wall. Many will come with 1m of 100mm diameter flue pipe & a 90deg connector for the boiler. This may often be positioned so the pipe can exit to either side or the rear. 1m extension pieces are also available, up to a total length of around ~4m.

Before going to far check the rules regarding clearances between boiler flues and other features such as windows, gutters, other flues etc. as these will determine where the flue can exit.

Reply to
Toby

What Toby says is spot on. The Ariston MicroGenius has been popular where space is limited:-

BillV

Worcester Bosch Junior is, I'm pretty certain, the smallest. It is also well made and simpler inside (more reliable inside).

Check where the flue can terminate on the outside wall. Distance from open windows, etc.

Reply to
IMM

Ellen, an alternative idea:

of a gas-fired boiler. and they are only 90mm square! Hugh

Reply to
Hugh

Not sure about most...

I had the same problem looking for a narrow combi and found lots that were bang on the spec I wanted except for the width (many of the combis are 450mm wide alas) - went for the Ideal ISAR at just under 400mm wide in the end.

Reply to
John Rumm

24i Junior

kW - 7.5 to 23.5 (25,600 to 80,182) btu's

High - 600mm Wide - 400mm Deep - 325mm

Reply to
IMM

Thanks, that's just what I needed to know. I'm hopeful that a 400mm one will fit on the external wall, where the small Apollo boiler is at present. That will be the simplest. If not, from what you say I'll still be able to put it on the side wall. I'll take your advice and get all the clearances checked before I proceed. But it sounds as if it should be ok.

Reply to
Ellen Mizzell

Thanks -- noted for the short list.

Reply to
Ellen Mizzell

Thanks, I'll check that one out too. I must admit I'd prefer Worcester Bosch to Ariston. I've got an Ariston at the moment -- can't remember the make. It's been nothing but trouble. Of course that's not to say the MicroGenius would be similar but it has rather put me off the name of Ariston.

Will do. Thanks.

Reply to
Ellen Mizzell

I have a Microgenus and so far so good. The Junior was not available when I bought it.

Reply to
IMM

Noted, thanks. I guess I'll probably try for a 400mm one as being the smallest. (And hoping that's not asking for trouble....)

Reply to
Ellen Mizzell

Thanks for mentioning that. I just looked it up. It's a condensing boiler? Don't they have a reputation for troubles? Or is it just that they're more expensive that makes them less popular? I'd be prepared to pay the extra for a condensing boiler, in the interests of efficiency, if it will fit and won't give me headaches.

Reply to
Ellen Mizzell

Thanks, interesting idea but I notice on the website that the price comparison relies on the Economy 7 tariff. I think I'd rather stick to gas. But thanks for mentioning it.

Reply to
Ellen Mizzell

Hi,

They would cost about 4x as much as gas to run though.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

The older British ones did. The newer batch are fine.

The cost is made back quite quickly in reduced gas bills. And as fuel will rise in price quite sharply, the payback may be very quick indeed.

They are much the same as any other boiler. From April all boilers will have to be condensing boilers.

Reply to
IMM

Yes it is a high efficiency condensing combi. The "reputation for troubles" is a bit of an old wives tale... many years ago when the UK makers first started making condensing boilers some of them were poor (partly because they were adopting / reusing parts and materials from existing designs that were not appropriate for consensing boilers). The current crop of condecing boilers however should be fine.

Yes they will cost more to buy, although you will recoup that and more in the life of the boiler in reduced fuel bills. So unless yo were planning to move in the near future it would be a false econmy to buy a less efficent boiler just because it is cheaper.

As the building regs evolve to require ever more efficent boilers, the non condensing boilers will soon be forced off the market anyway.

You can get a duff example of any boiler I suppose - but if you stick to respected brands it should be no more likely to cause a headache!

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks. It's definitely on my list.

Reply to
Ellen Mizzell

Would it were so. As mentioned elsewhere, the Ariston I've got now has been a real pain in the neck.

I'll certainly consider the ISAR. Thanks.

Reply to
Ellen Mizzell

I've just bought an Ideal Classic combi, which will fit in a space 18.75" wide according to its specs

Regards David

Reply to
Lobster