Building Regs.

What are the main differences between building regulations in 'Scotland' and those of Britain? Which are strictest? Are there any commonalities in structure and numbering?

I always thought Scotland was part of Britain! Do you know something we don't?

However, I believe there are differences in BR's between Scotland and England & Wales. Hopefully someone with more knowledge than me will tell you what they are!

Reply to
Set Square

I knew that Scotland had it's own assembly but I did no realise it is no longer in Britain

Glenn

Reply to
Glenn

The only thing that I recall is that the insulation requirements are higher on new builds and refurbs.

Reply to
BillV

Insulation is stricter. Some structure is 'different' for want of a better word. For example roofs. Some new electrical work needs a certificate.

And I recall the numbering is way off.

Reply to
G&M

These might help with your questions:

BigWallop

There are lots of little differences between E&W Part L (conservation of fuel and power) and Scotland's Part J which only come out on close reading. We've listed the ones we've identified on our website at

're given to understand that in 2005 all three sets of regulations will be commonised. Our SuperHeat program is probably the only bit of software in the world that has a specific Northern Ireland edition of the manual: identifying all the differences in a common UK manual would have wearied readers on both sides of the Irish sea.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

"G&M" wrote | And I recall the numbering is way off.

No, *your* numbering is way off :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain