Compact bagless vacuum cleaner - recommendations wanted

We want to buy a compact vacuum cleaner for use on our small boat, thus its compactness is particulary important, obviously also we want it to be an effective vacuum cleaner.

I've said bagless because that makes most sense as it removes the need for (space consuming) bags to be stored. I'm willing to consider others though.

Mains operated is fine.

Reply to
tinnews

I've gone off the idea of bagless cleaners since I bought one from Lidl a few months ago. As a result of not having a bag, it clogs its filters up something rotten - and in double quick time - and it's a very messy and time consuming job to clean them so that will suck again.

Maybe others are better . .

Reply to
Roger Mills

Got myself one of these. Brilliant.

Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

You forgot to mention whether you want upright, cylinder, handheld or wet&dry.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

Doesn't 'compact' eliminate at least 'upright'. :-)

Anyway a small cylinder type cleaner is what we're after, no big areas of carpet or anything like that and we have (several) devices for sucking water out of places where it shouldn't be.

Reply to
tinnews

In article , Roger Mills writes

Dyson has all the patents on innovative small and multiple cyclones so any other brand is going to be using second rate technology.

Reply to
fred

Which doesn't stop some of the smaller compact Dysons being absolutely crap.

Tim

Reply to
Tim

Really? There is nothing stopping another manufacturer licencing the use of Dyson patents not is the fact that Dyson has a number of patents mean that these give the best result.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

If you take into account the hose, tubes, attachments etc which fall all over the place, an upright can take up less space - especially if it's the sort whose handle folds down.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

SWMBO baught a small dyson recently (I would have preferred a Sebo) The cyclone has a very small capacity and every time I go to use it I find the filters clogged. After washing and waiting 24 hrs for them to dry, it still doesn't suck anywhere near as well as the Vax.

Reply to
<me9

In article , Peter Crosland writes

Is there anything stopping Dyson refusing to license the technology and thereby excluding other manufacturers from the benefits?

If compact bagless cleaners require multiple compact cyclones for efficient waste extraction and Dyson holds exclusive patents covering them then other manufacturers cannot achieve the same results.

Reply to
fred

Yes - they probably don't want to lose their percieved exclusivity. Though of course, using a cyclone to separate dust was a preexisting technology, so there's a limit to how well covered he is.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Sorry - misread your question - had more negatives in it than I expected.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Dyson's original patent was for a dual cyclone. But when does (did) that expire? Must be at least 25years since I first came across it. I was wondering if this one of the reasons that there has been a rash of new bagless vacuums over the last couple of years.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew May

A few refs say late 70s so over 30 years but it doesn't seem that long.

You could be right about the new rash of new non Dyson bagless cleaners but I think he's been keeping ahead of the game on multiple cyclones and related technology, patenting as he goes, and is keeping the most effective technology to himself.

Here's a list of US patent history in his name[1] the latest just a couple of weeks old:

There appear to be a few wrongly attributed to him, the oldest 2 fairly obviously.

Reply to
fred

In article , Skipweasel writes

Think you had it right first time :-). I was suggesting he would be quite happy to keep the patents to himself and build a brand with a strong USP, without the dilution of licensing it to the competition..

I can't see him licensing Hoover, ever.

Refs:

fred

Our AquaVac (c1986) had just died. Never used the water and like the idea of bagless.

What's it like on carpeted stairs?

Reply to
AnthonyL