Combined cordless screwdriver and drill

I bought this to be a screwdriver after te batteries in my Abcient Mkita died - and this cost less than the cost of recelling the old one.

To my surpirise, its quite decent when drilling.

Obviously if I have a man sized job I break out a De Walt hammer drill.

But it managed to punch a 13mm hole through 10mm Chipboard OK.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I thought the screwdriver bits were on a square shank. If it's hex then that fits much better.

Reply to
Pamela

No, standard screw driving bits use a 1/4" hex shank, like:

(you can get bits for driving *screws* with square drive heads - but the shank is still hex)

Reply to
John Rumm

Is it worth having torque settings on a very basic cordless screwdriver for only occassional use? At approx 5 Nm there not much torque to start and I wonder if it's any parctical use at all.

These are the two cordless screwdrivers I'm comparing:

BOSCH

TECCPO

Pamela

What is its intended use, Pamela?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

To drill slightly undersize 60mm pilot holes in 12mm ply to make the screws go in easier.

Reply to
Richard

I've had an IXO for years. Not enough oomph for some jobs, but still very useful indeed. And I have some of the hex drill bits - gain very useful, even if only for pilot holes.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Light household use.

Reply to
Pamela

Does the lack of a variable speed trigger cause difficulty? Or the lack of a slippping clutch to limit the amount of torque?

Reply to
Pamela

f****ng big screw.

As the bishop said to the actress.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I can't say it's bothered me. It's not fast to start with. The torque is adequate, but unlikely to damage anything.

It's paired with a small Bosch Power4All cordless, which gets the bigger jobs. That does have an adjustable clutch.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I think the thrust of the question is what kind of fastenings are you hoping to drive. For example the small lightweight drivers like you linked to can be good for spinning machine screws in and out of domestic equipment for service and repair. Also small wood screws in hinges etc. However they might have difficulty with driving 2" screws into wall plugs for fixing shelves or TV brackets.

Reply to
John Rumm

Just been using my tiny Makita impact screwdriver today. It really is one of the best purchases I've ever made. With practice it's ok on small stuff as well as punching well above its weight. Both batteries still fine too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)