Combi boiler has just stopped

Hi Guys Dont know if its a valid question. My Combi boiler has just died on me. All of a sudden its sitting there dead. The system pressure is okay. Switching on the mains power does nothing. Have checked the fuse. The wiring diagram denotes another fuse but I could not locate it. Any troubleshooting ideas or have I got to call in the heating guy ?

Thanks in advance VK

Reply to
call me VK

What make and model is it? Does it have any lights to indicate what it's doing? If so, are any of them on?

How did you check the fuse? Did you take it out, and use a continuity tester?

Do you have a user manual for the boiler? If so, that should have a fault-finding chart. Work through that, and see what it throws up.

Reply to
Set Square

Check the user manual -- usually there's an initial fault flowchart you can work through to rule out anything obvious.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Thanks for the response mate.

The model is Worcster Bosch 24i RSF. I only moved into this house couple of months back. It has one light which is on when the mains is switched on. This is now off.

I took out the fuse and replaced it with a new one.

It has an user manual and stuff with flowcharts. I took a look at it. If the mains light is off then it says check both fuses. I cannot locate the second fuse. If both fuses are okay it says replace PCB. This is it as far as mains light not turning on trouble shoot flowchart is concerned.

Thanks !

Reply to
call me VK

I did check. I have posted what I found in my other post.

Thanks!

Reply to
call me VK

Sounds like you need to find that second fuse! Doesn't the manual tell you where it is?

Also, replacing one fuse with another is a bit hit and miss unless you have a means of testing it. Is it a normal fuse - as used in a 13A plug? If so, if you put the fuse into an ordinary plug, does the connected appliance work ok?

Reply to
Set Square

Come on you lazy b'stard - stop typing here and get finding the second fuse! ;-)

Seriously, it would be a waste of everybody's time if you don't rule out the second fuse having blown (why it's blown is another matter) particularly as that's what the manual's flowchart says to do.

My 24CDi (different beast but probably not all that different in this regard) has its 'second' fuse on the PCB. Check yours out. Before Geoff (Raden) comes along to give you the exact location try looking behind the PCB wiring cover/panel - I'd bet on it being somewhere there.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew J. Newton

The first fuse was easy for me to find because it was located in the mains switch with "fuse" written over it. I got a new fuse ( 3 amps) and replaced this with new one. Where is the PCB ? All I have done so far is removed( lowered) the bottom panel and removed the front panel. What else do I need to remove to expose the PCB ? I am at the office and cannot check this until I get home in evening.

Thanks guys and sorry to waste your time.

Reply to
call me VK

No. The manual had just one electrical wiring diagram with fuse written on it. I could not located it physically.

I replaced the fuse with a new one I bought. Its a simple 3 A fuse.

Reply to
call me VK

The PCB will be behind where the knobs are (i.e. presumably the 'bottom panel' that you lowered... hinged down?). On the underside of this you should be able to see where all the wires enter and there is likely another panel (going off the 24CDi here) that cover the wiring terminals. I am guessing that you will be able to see/replace the fuse from this location.

If you wait for Geoff to spot the post I'm sure he'll know the exact location on this board and whether or not it requires the PCD removing to get at.

Reply to
Mathew J. Newton

Thanks Matt Appreciated !

Reply to
call me VK

But supposing it blew immediately you put it in because of a fault down-stream, how would you know?

Reply to
Set Square

In message , call me VK writes

Hi,

I have a Worcester Combi 24i. I woke up a while ago to find the RCD had tripped overnight and, later on under a cold shower, I realised that it was the boiler.

Mains light out. Changed the 3A fuse - no change. Plumber came that afternoon to do something else, opened the front bit that folds down and found that one of the electrical supply wires had come lose, (Black and Red in my case, at the left hand end of the fold down bit).

Worth checking!

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

You were right! Located the fuse and it was busted and fitted a new one and its all sorted ! If you are in Kent area I will buy you a couple of pints. Thanks very much !

Reply to
call me VK