cobblers

That's brought back a memory that I'd forgotten from many years ago. When I was being taken to or from school we went past a hand-made sign "Laurie Gant, shoe repairs" on someone's garden gate. It stuck in my mind because I expected his surname to be Grant rather than Gant.

Gosh, he was a rugby player for Wakefield Trinity and Featherstone Rovers

I'd have thought that there will always be a need for piano tuners, since it's not a job that most of us would be competent to do ourselves. OK, there are far fewer pianos than there used to be, because some/many people and organisations (eg village halls) will have gone over to electronic keyboards which can act as other instruments as well as just pianos. But there will always be *some* pianos.

I believe that pianos are best tuned so there is a *very* small discrepancy between the tuning of the three strings for each note, to give "character" and "richness" to the note. It takes skill to judge the best tuning for the three strings, and to judge when the first "reference" string for a note is correct for the 2^(1/12) spacing between semitones. I imagine electronic tuning aids (similar to those for guitar strings) help a lot.

Reply to
NY

Don't know what you're torquing about. ;-)

Reply to
NY

Sssh. Careless torque costs lives!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Important with traditional leather soles I, think, but not with most modern shoe construction. ISTR they used hardwood strips before spring steel shanks became common.

Reply to
Rob Morley

I find those type of safety boots excelent for digging with a spade. The reinforced spine eases the pressure on the boot

Reply to
fred

Reply to
Sargan

I've cut some thin bare , electronics circuit board, the front half of insoles in shape, to place under the built-in insoles. Stiff and light but thin glass reinforced polyseter sheet, may stop the local pressure at that bend line

Reply to
N_Cook

The steel shank is there so that, when you retire after a working life wearing such boots and walking on concrete factory floors for 8 hours per day, your feet are in such a bad shape that you walk in a kind of shuffle motion, keeping pressure off the sole as much as possible.

How do I know this? Let's see....

Reply to
Davey