cobblers

Yes, it's just that I've never seen "twerk" spelled like that ;)

Reply to
Graham.

If there happens to be any here. Google fixated on steel toe-cap boots, so useless. What is the function of the steel strip axial to a shoe above the sole and below the sort of insole soft base inner of the shoe, or even specific name like welt, vamp etc of cobblering.

Reply to
N_Cook

Shank? To give support to the arches

See Bedo's Leatherworks or Rose Anvil videos

Reply to
Andy Burns

Do you mean the steel protection from treading on spikes, such as nails and screws pointing upwards on old planks?

Reply to
Jeff Layman

I think “shank” is the word you’re looking for. It’s to reduce the flexibility of the sole which is important in climbing boots that you intend to use with crampons. Not terribly helpful for anything else though.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Work boots it makes standing on ladder rungs more comfortable.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

If the company supplied the royal family would the sign read Cobblers to the Queen/King? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Just half-inch or so wide and walking boots , not for protecting against upward nails or for ladder use I'd have thought. For me the first part to break is the sole in a line directly under the full weight of the in-step? when walking and over time the sole seems to compress there and forms a permanent set/bowing in the sole and then splitting. But trying with a strong magnet, no steel strip in these, I just wondered if the strip was to stop this bowing of the sole, but for lightness that metal went from production and also introducing less dense injection moulded plastic for the sole body. No arch shape metal in an older pair I explored a few years ago that broke up in the heel area and the metal strip was very rusty.

Reply to
N_Cook

Don't know but it probasbly says "Shoe repairer".

However, I did see, in Edinburgh, a sign that said "Piano & Harpsichord Tuners to Her Majesty the Queen""

Reply to
charles

Did it say which Queen? There are three piano tuners who held Royal Warrants for Queen Elizabeth II and the one who tunes the instruments at Balmoral appears to be based in Aberdeen.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

I saw it many years ago - and I've also seen a harpsichord in Holyrood House. That was probably the relevant instrument.

Reply to
charles

Easier on the feet when standing on a ladder.

Reply to
chop

You should have said that originally.

True.

Likely intended for those with flat feet.

Can't see why you would want to do that, that would make it harder to walk.

Never struck any boots with metal in them myself, but I avoid safety boots deliberately.

Reply to
chop

Do those useless parasites actually repair their shoes ?

More likely they get you lot to buy them new ones.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I assume that three means one for Scotland, one for Norfolk and one in London. However, the one in Aberdeen seems to have been awarded the warrant relatively recently, so what you saw may have been his predecessor.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Yes, shank. It looks as though its function is to resist a tendency for shoes to twist along the axis between heel and toe, not requied with wedgeheels with the extra bulk. Imagine the torque of stilleto heels along the axis, if the owner goes off vertical

Reply to
N_Cook

There are some safety boots which as well as steel toe-caps also have a wide metal midsole piece for anti-penetration ... mine feel like they're made of lead.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Great chatup line for the bar there!

Reply to
mechanic

There are still piano tuners in 2023? Yes:

mechanic

We've one coming next week

Reply to
charles