Coal bin question

I have a large victorian home, there is a coal bin and trap door outside where coal was delivered. I'm trying to figure out how much coal the bin held. There are 8 fireplaces, I'm sure it was quite a bit of coal. I can measure the coal room. It's now been converted to our wine cellar

Reply to
billy

Mine would not have been a "bin" as such, rather there was a sort of cellar under the hall which once had a chute leading to it. About 4 feet wide, five feet high, that would have stopped flowing at about 6 feet deep so say 120 cubic feet or 4 to 5 cubic metres, so probably about 10 tons.

Reply to
newshound