Coach screw with a nut on the end?

Where can I get a Coach screw with a nut on the end? And what are they called? I've taken some out of my house. They screw into wood using an open ended spanner on the middle, then you can attach things to the end and tighten them with a nut. And later unscrew the nut. Screwfix and Toostation dont seem to have them, nor do the shops in Leominster, (but I dont know what they're called!) [g]

Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

Are you thinking of a wood to metal dowel - wood thread at one end and machine thread at the other?

've not seen them with a hex fitting in the middle though. I've always locked a couple of nuts onto the machine thread and used those to tighten them into the wood, removing the nuts after tightening.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Sounds like a basin fixing:

John Rumm

Also known, at least for the smaller sizes, as 'speaker screws' (used for mounting loudspeaker drive units to wooden baffles).

Reply to
Andy Wade

I just shove the machine threaded bit in the chuck of the combi drill and drive the wood end in that way.

Reply to
John Rumm

They appear to have a flat in the middle, on which you could use an open-ended spanner. But it's usually easier to lock the two nuts onto each stud in turn, and then wind then in using a socket spanner.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Do the chuck jaws not damage the thread?

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Not when I've done it that way.

Reply to
Skipweasel

yes thanks, thats what its called Wood Metal Dowel lots on ebay....

[g]
Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

Not usually - scuff it a little maybe, but not major damage. If you make sure the end of the thread is pushed well into the chuck, then you won't be gripping that bit anyway, hence won't hamper the ability to get a nut on. Once on, it will tend to clean up any minor damage as you wind it on.

(bit like the old trick of sticking a nut on a bolt before cutting it, so the nut can clean the threads as you take it off)

Reply to
John Rumm

I slap em in the drill - see my comments above.

Reply to
John Rumm