What nut size to fit tripod screw?

I am in the UK and I have a minature tripod for a 35mm camera.
I want to attach something else to the tripod using the threaded bolt on the tripod which normally goes into the body of the camera.
That bolt is about 1/4inch across and I have read that it has 20 threads per inch, so it gets to be called "1/4-20".
I want a nut to fit this.
QUESTION: What would be the reference or specification for the correct nut?
ISTR this threaded bolt is a slightly unusual size in Europe.
QUESTION: Can I get a bush to fit over the screwed bolt in order to be able to get a more widley available nut?
QUESTION: Is there a common nut size (as far as Europe goes) which might fit a bit loosely on the bolt but which could still be tightened?
to say:

It's a standard 1/4" BS Whitworth thread.
--
Frank Erskine
Sunderland

bolt on

threads
correct
be
tightened?
Andy,
It's 1/4" Whitworth. Contact me off line for an address (de-spam my reply address), send me an SAE and I'll pop some in it for you.
AWEM

Good offer, mate! For something as small as a few nuts I'll try my local hardware store first. They're very close. Or my mate a the local garage cos that may the sort of thing he never threw away!
Thanks for the offer.
|> |wrote: |> |> It's 1/4" Whitworth. Contact me off line for an address (de-spam my |> reply address), send me an SAE and I'll pop some in it for you. | |Good offer, mate! For something as small as a few nuts I'll try my |local hardware store first. They're very close. Or my mate a the local |garage cos that may the sort of thing he never threw away!
Take the offer Whitworth screws are like hens teeth nowadays.
--
Dave Fawthrop <dave hyphenologist co uk> Google Groups is IME the *worst*

I've never seen 1/4" BSW screws for sale, but RS sell nuts and studding in that size.

If your mate at the garage doesn't have Whitworth, he'll probably have UNC instead. These are the same diameter and TPI as 1/4" Whitworth, and will do just as well. OK, the threadform is *slightly* different - but only the purists will notice the difference.
--
Cheers,
Roger

UNC nuts and bolts were pretty rare on cars - they're usually UNF. UNC threads were used into cast aluminium etc, though. But UNF threads on the other end of the studs if not bolts.
--
*You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me *

You'll be lucky. Pretty well everything has been metric for ages.

Whitworth nuts and bolts weren't much used on cars being so coarse, and not really on any car soon after WW2 when things went to unified threads.
--
*I wished the buck stopped here, as I could use a few*

You're right actually. The shop had nothing auitable.
But my own trusty toolbox revealed three of them. :-) I'm pleased! I have no idea where I might have got them from though.
From what Roger posted to this thread thse may be UNC instead (Roger didn't say what size UNC but it seems they are a passable lookalike). Maybe a 1/4" Whitworth matches a 1/4" UNC. Is that correct?
to say:

More or less. The pitch is the same but the thread form is a little different. The UNC "near equivalent" is 1/4" - 20.
--
Frank Erskine

There is a slight thread profile difference which shouldn't matter on this sort of application. I'd be wary of using UNC into an aluminium camera body, though. Just my prejudice...
Unified nuts have linked circles stamped onto the face. Bolts have a circular depression in the centre of the head.
--
*Why is it considered necessary to screw down the lid of a coffin?

lookalike).
1/4" Whit and 1/4" UNC differ only in the included thread angle and crest / root rounding. Whitworth threads are 55 degrees and UNC are 60 degrees. In most (non precision applications) they are interchangeable.
AWEM

Yes - it certainly true for 1/4". It seems to be generally true for other sizes too - except I've just looked at a table which gives 1/2" Whitworth as 12TPI but 1/2" UNC as 13TPI - so I'm not sure whether one of those is a misprint!
--
Cheers,
Roger

No, it's not a misprint.
Christian McArdle wrote:

It would, however, be unwise to do anything for other people without having public liability insurance.

Or offer a full-time position as an inspector :-)
Owain

Obviously, there are a raft of things that need to be done before forming a business in any field, including insurance.
Christian.
On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 16:59:35 +0100, "Christian McArdle"

Very Odd ..These last two mesages about training as an electrician are showing up in the thread about the size of a tripod screw..Never seen that before .
Stuart

Yeah, of course you can, you just have to know where to look. There's little call for it so the big DIY barns don't carry it, but car shops, the proper sort where there's a bloke who actually knows something about cars, have 'em.
If you're really lucky you'll find a car shop with a biscuit tin of fine unsorted top quality tat which will contain just about anything you'd ever need.
--
Skipweasel
|Really, you can't get non-metric stuff? In the US, every hardware |store carries both metric and non-metric. Somebody, somewhere, must |have one.
The USA is on a different planet. I once tried to get some A4 copies, and failed miserably.
--
Dave Fawthrop <dave hyphenologist co uk> Google Groups is IME the *worst*