Undoing nut with wrench

Sometimes I have to call out a plumber just to change a washer because I can't get the nut at the end of a radiator or inside a tap undone. It is ridiculous to do that when I've got the knowledge for basic plumbing.

I've been trying this morning to change washer on a tap. I used a 17mm spanner around the nut but there is a tiny gap and when I apply force to the spanner it sort of slips and wears the ages of the hexagonal nut. I can't carry on trying becuause the nut will end up round and then be impossible to get undone with any tools. I've also tried with an adustable wrench but that doesn't fit exactly either and also wears the edges of the nut. The gap between wrench on nut is tiny probably less than 1mm. I don't see how I could get a tighter fitting one.

What I am doing wrong? What tools should I be using?

Reply to
David

Try a small pair of stillsons.

You may snap the tap, but you won't see em slip.

Also apply a blowlamp to heal 'crack any corrsion.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The problem isn't the nut, or the spanner. It's the nut holding the spanner.

Reply to
Dave Baker

The message from "David" contains these words:

If the gap is 1 mm then use a 16 mm spanner. FWIW if the gap is less than 1 mm then the nut size will not be either AF or Whitworth as both

5/8" AF and 3/8" BSF are less than 16 mm and the next sizes up over 17.

As TNT has pointed out a stillson will work on just about anything but you will be in serious danger of doing considerably damage particularly if the nut is tight and the sink earthenware.

Reply to
Roger

Try using a ring spanner of the correct size, ie. a good snug fit. IIRC

17mm equates to 5/8 or 11/16" AF, can't remember the Whitworth equivalent. If possible try applying heat and then give the end of the spanner a sharp tap with a mallet or hammer. Usually works but you do run the risk of cracking the basin/sink/bath etc. Adjustable spanners are usually good for little. If the nut is already well rounded you could try Stillsons or a GOOD mole type wrench, again with heat and a sharp tap. HTH GS
Reply to
Great Scot

I'm a big fan of the mole too. You need to set the adjustment screw so that you can only just get it to lock on. And as others have said, you need to find a way to stop the "fixed" bit rotating.

Reply to
Newshound

And then apply some grease so that it isn't a problem next time.

Reply to
John

He can't use a ring spanner under a sink :-p

To the OP: - as GS says, a ringer for the rads, and a basin wrench for the sink taps:

Phil L

Many thanks everyone for your helpful replies. I obv wasn't using the right tools. I think I'll buy all these suggested and try them out one-by-one.

Reply to
David

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 21:48:27 GMT, "Phil L" mused:

Is he? Thought he was changing a washer?

Reply to
Lurch

I would heartily recommend that you purchase good quality tools. They will, with care, last almost indefinitely. Inferior tools will neither last nor do the job properly. This causes endless frustration, much cursing, spanner rash and further expense. As per your op, you might call in a plumber; but there is much satisfaction to be gained from completing a task properly under your own steam. Good luck GS

Reply to
Great Scot

David Pretty obvious question, but I am assuming you know that adjustables are best used a certain way round so that the fixed part of the head is trailing as you undo. This way you are putting less pressure on the adjustable part of the head and create less flex and play. Personally I would invest in a basin wrench and a standard wrench too. Like other posters I also like stillsons and moles... moles are great because the grip well but are much quicker to set than stillsons... but stillsons for really stuborn joints. Good Luck Calum Sabey NewArk Traditional Kitchens 01556 690544

Reply to
calums