CO-OP 60W Clear Candle Bulbs

Hi Group, Just bought some clear candle bulbs from the CO-OP and on the reverse it clearly states (in the form of a diagram) that the bulb should not be operated upside-down. I'm assuming this is because the glue used to stick the glass to the cap becomes weaker when hot.

Any thoughts.

Other manufactures do not state this restriction.

Martin.

Reply to
Martin

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 21:06:47 -0000, in uk.d-i-y "Martin" strung together this:

Cheap bulbs is the first one, use diy vs pro drill arguments and substitute bulbs for drill where appropriate!

Reply to
Lurch

More likely the design of the filament.

Maybe not, but you might well find the life is shorter if not used in the normal way - I found that with them used horizontally.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

The GE SES sized bulbs state this, as did most of the others I looked at. We've used it upside down for a good 8 months and not found any issue with them yet.

David

Reply to
David Hearn

It applies to all candle and golfball lamps from 40W upwards. (It's in some spec somewhere, possibly a BS, which lamp fitting manufacturers have to be aware of.) I smile to myself sometimes when I see a lighting display in a shop, and the shop have fitted candle or golfball lamps inappropriately...

It's because the lampholder will overheat, and the solder on the lamp base may soften and 'solder' the lamp into the lampholder.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Use energy saving candle bulbs.

Does anyone know the cheapest source of energy saver candle bulbs ? I have 2 but I can't find any more at a decent price.

Cheers,

P.

Reply to
Zymurgy

The reasons for using candle bulbs is they are attractive to look at and give a gentle light, as it were. Energy saving types fail on both.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Can't remmebner if they do the candle ones but Ikea are the cheapest source for low energy bulbs for me- £1.70 each.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Yet this is the usual arrangement in most ceiling fans.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Ah, but they come with a special vibrator (unbalanced fan) to ensure you have to change the lamps every ~100 hours to reduce chance of soldering into lampholder, and forced air cooling to keep the lampholder wiring cooler ;-)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

True, but it does get around your orientation problem (so to speak ;-)

I use enery saving all over the house, as i've got to offset leaving my PC's on 24X7 somehow !

Cheers

Paul.

Reply to
Zymurgy

" Tim wrote i

I'm not sure they do them. I checked the price of a energy saving candle bulb in B&Q last night. £6.99 EACH :-(((((((

Cheers,

Paul.

Reply to
Zymurgy

Each time I visit, the range of compact fluorescents has changed, which is a fat load of use if you are going back to get more of something you bought there before. They had some 7W R50 reflector lamps last time I visited, which is the only place I've ever seen them, and they were quite cheap. I don't remember if they had candle lamps, but they did have lots of spherical lamps, some very small.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel