Cloudy headlamps

Has anyone found a successful way to polish out the 'haze' on plastic headlights? There are lots of suggestions involving elbow-grease and toothpast on YouTube, but I tried that and it may have made a slight difference or it may just have been wishful thinking. Brasso was not much better, but I think T-Cut was, but only marginally. There are scary videos using fine grade abrasive kits on YouTube. My garage said that the showroom next door uses T-cut and an electric polisher, but I don't have an electric polisher and I believe conventional drills with mop-discs can be too fast. Any ideas?

Reply to
Jim S

Chris Bartram

Any such polishing is hard work by hand. Since it's similar to cutting back car paint, Farecla is the best for that and comes in more than one grade - although you'd likely have to go to a paint supplier to get the coarser stuff. Halfords do the common one.

Have you checked if you can buy new lenses on their own? Ebay might be a source - they're unlikely to be a dealer spare, but check anyway.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk:

430 for a pair - hence.............
Reply to
Jim S

I got something called Greygate Plastic Polish from CPC a while ago, which works on mine. It warns not to use on Cellulose Acetate, for which they have an alternative product according to the label. I don't think it would work for anything other than the finest scratches.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

That's presumably the complete units? It is possible to buy lenses on their own for some cars.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

After a pheasant attacked my Renault Laguna headlamp assembly, smashing it comprehensively, I bought a complete used working unit on the internet for £25. Since a new unit is in the hundreds, I think it was a good deal.

Reply to
Davey

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk:

Can't find any

Reply to
Jim S

Davey wrote in news:l4hk22$k8a$ snipped-for-privacy@n102.xanadu-bbs.net:

Lucky you. I did look.

Reply to
Jim S

Get down your local car breaker. They still exist

Reply to
harryagain

"They" being? The OP hasn't named the vehicle.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Tried here yet?

Stick in your reg no and any parts available will be listed.

Reply to
Richard

On my previous Fiesta, the glass easily unclipped from the unit (I stuck it in the dishwasher a few times). However, it was not available separately - you had to buy the whole unit. You could get a cheaper version without the motorised level adjust, and either just unclip the glass front, or use the whole new unit and move the motor across.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I was under the impression it was a change in the actual material opacity itself due to UV that was the real problem in most instances. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

"Brian Gaff" wrote in news:l4ij17$egu$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Indeed and since it is a 2004 Mitsubishi Space Star that was only made for a few years, used parts are hard to come by.

Reply to
Jim S

With at least some makes, the actual 'glass' may be available in other countries than the UK. Which can take a bit of finding.

A forum or car club for your particular model would be a good start for info.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I looked at that site and some of the bits are as expensive as the main dealer, some are more expensive (for a sample of one car).

Reply to
dennis

That might explain why some cars have left hand drive light patterns on one light.

The most common reason is that some people just can't fit a bulb correctly. Maybe a part P for car electrics?

Reply to
dennis

I used clear nail varnish.

Reply to
Capitol

It would depend on whether it has a fresnel lens as part of it or is just plain. Thought that would be too obvious to state.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)