Alternatives to Fellowes Air Duster?

I bought a can yesterday to blow out my Philishave razor after each use, as I never liked the idea of running it under the tap. Too messy.

But when I got the can home I realised that it contains all kinds of stuff, not just air as I expected.

Prior to considering an air duster, I had thought of a pumped up car tyre (obtain an old wheel rim and used car tyre), but that would be an extremely cumbersome solution. I'd have to pop into my garage every morning just to blow out the razor, although it would ensure a powerful blast of pure air.

Puffing into the razor myself works, kinda. But my 'puff' isn't strong enough to blow out all the nooks and crannies.

So, any ideas for an alternative to the Air Duster can once it's finished?

MM

Reply to
MM

How about an ultrasonic cleaning bath. One has to take most shavers apart to remove the greasy crud on a weekly basis in any case.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

You're surely not using air puffs to blow your skin and hair particles around the house, are you? You must be taking it outside to do that?

TBH I use mine each day without worrying about the bits. At least once a week (often more frequently) I have a full wet shave with it, thoroughly wash it out, roughly dry it, and that is all.

Reply to
polygonum

In one breath they say non flamable the specs say propane if it is tetrafluoroethane like my dusting stuff you could use it in your car aircon

Reply to
F Murtz

Why on earth should I take it outside when the air in any room in the home is typically full of dead skin cells, spider shit and other detritus anyway?

Yes, that may be your choice. Mine is NOT to use water, but to blow out the stubble. Maybe use the little brush that comes with it once a month in addition. My previous non-washable Philishave lasted for 20 years using the above cleaning regimen. I don't feel mixing water and electronics is a good idea, and there's always the consideration that the manufacturer may be recommending this in the expectation of a replacement purchase sooner than really necessary. (This would be planned obsolescence *with* the connivance of the user! Clever muggers, these capitalists!)

MM

Reply to
MM

Yeah, I just assumed that it was compressed air and nothing else.

MM

Reply to
MM

And blowing bits of bristle out isn't messy?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Don't they come with a cleaning brush?

Reply to
dennis

You can't liquify air (or nitrogen) in a thin aluminium aerosol-like Canister at room temperature. Canister would need to be thick steel to hold the pressure required.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

How is it more messy to blow hair bits everywhere rather than rinse down the plughole? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In my opinion, yes.

MM

Reply to
MM

Yeah, but that's really for the more intensive clean one is supposed to perform every week/month. And still you're expected to wash out the loosened stubble, whereas I don't want to run the thing under the tab.

MM

Reply to
MM

Rinsing it gets water on your (otherwise dry) hands (I never shave wet, other than with a Bic), the razor becomes wet. I just don't like it.

MM

Reply to
MM

Angle grinder.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Becomes SEP. Namely the maids when she comes around dusting.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Summat like this perhaps:

Nick

A refillable aerosol or atomizer might be what you seek. Something from this range should do your job.

Refillable from compressor or hand/foot pump to 200psi Max.

I've had one for about 30 years and it still works perfectly. Can be used for a multitude of tasks.

Reply to
Nick

Blow through a tube eg biro pen case to concentrate your puff?

Bicycle pump, fit to the wall in a can crusher lever type attachment so you can work the pump with one hand and hold the shaver in the other.

Turkey baster?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Now THAT looks like the business! Thanks. (First sensible suggestion...)

MM

Reply to
MM

Meanwhile I've been thinking I could perhaps make a contraption using a blown up balloon.

Tried the Air Duster for the first time this morning and it sure gets the razor nice and clean! (Without water, nota bene.)

MM

Reply to
MM