clock winding key

Does anyone know where I can get a clock winding key ? I have an old clockwork mantelpiece clock and I want to see if it works. The winding key will comprise of a square hole in a circular shaft. Cheers, Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

It's not quite as simple as that - eg see:

's a US site so probably not much use to you directly, but you get the idea...)

I'd be inclined to take it to a clock repairer who will be able to supply the correct size there and then.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Cousin's they do all sorts of clock spares, below is a link to English keys, they do many others.

Mark

Walsh are another possible source

Bob Minchin

Three ways of proceeding since you haven't got an old key to read a size off:

Go to your local friendly clock repairer, with the clock, (we don't all bite) and he'll probably have a bunch of keys, that you can check the size against, or a box of assorted ones he'll find you one from

Buy a small assortment from somewhere like Cousins, or Meadows & Passmore, or H S Walsh, say sizes 8, 9, 10, and hope one fits.

or measure the size of the square, which isn't always easy with the movement in the case. The winding squares usually taper, so say where on the taper you've measured it, and someone here (me, possibly) will suggest the most likely size. There are conversion charts around, too.

I wouldn't be too worried that your friendly etc etc clockmaker will rip you off by insisting you need him to overhaul the movement. Most of us have had our fill of 30s mantel clocks.

Reply to
Kevin Poole

Radiator keys are the same size as both my clocks. So if you have one give it a go for size, you can always use that to buy one or even modify it so that you can wind your clock up!

Reply to
Broadback

Radiator key fits. I'll let you know if the clock works. Simon.

Reply to
Simon

radiator key fits mine.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , sm_jamieson writes

Plenty on eBay, sets of several sizes for not much money and the quality is good, at least on the set I bought.

Reply to
Clint Sharp

Quicktest.co.uk or one of the many clockmaker's suppliers.

There are many sizes. If you have a vernier caliper you can measure this and buy the correct one. Otherwise you can buy (cheaply) multi- size "spider" keys. However these usualy come in sets of two: odd sizes on one, even sizes on another, so you need both to guarantee a good fit.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Their page on Clock Winders was going well, until I reached

"The crank-handle with the wooden knob is for winding up the pendulums of longcase (Grandfather and Granddaughter) clocks"

I suppose it would be one way of regulating them...

Cousins charge the same for a four-way spider as they do for five separate steel keys. ICBA to check M&P etc

Reply to
Kevin Poole