Outdoor socket kit

Purchased the above from B&Q. Very impressed.

Comprises of a pre wired IP55 socket, t'other end of the 2m cable is already stripped & trimmed to go into an RCD plug (supplied).

Back of the socket has 4 mounting holes & the spacing dimensions are moulded into the plastic case. Installation a doddle, fix socket to wall, drill hole for cable, connect to RCD plug - Robert is your fathers brother.

Neatly avoids Part P, cost £15 which I thought was reasonable.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Aldi have something similar which looks good, but I haven't bought one and don't recall the price (quite likely less than B&Q though).

Don't know why you think it avoids Prat P, but no one seems to care about Prat P anyway, and there won't have been a single Prat P application for any of the many thousands sold buy many retailers. Never use Prat P as an excuse for not doing a proper professional job.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I got one a few weeks back and very good it is too. Unfortunately (and quite shockingly!) it was more expensive than B&Q at £19.99.

Cos it plugs in and is not a new circuit? Cos B&Q sell thousands and haven't mentioned it in the destructions - which are very comprehensive?

Very true, but an IP55 socket plug in vai an RCD is surely as safe as houses?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

That depends which house you mean

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Same happened not far from here. They decided to convert an end of terrace newsagent into an 'indian' restaurant and started excavating the cellar - presumably for kitchens etc. And the whole lot came down. Same in Shepherd's Bush road some years ago - exactly the same reason. But this time mid terrace so more chaos. I can only assume cowboys were involved as doing cellar conversions is pretty popular round here.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Plugging in does not actually avoid part P. If its a permanent installation, and plugs in, it can still come under part P. So for example, putting a plug on a new boiler rather than connecting to a FCU does not "get round" the theoretical problem of part P.

Part P says: "The installation of fixed equipment is within the scope of Part R even where the final connection is by a 13A plug and socket. However, work is notifiable only if it involves fixed wiring and the installation of a new circuit or the extension of a circuit in a kitchen or special location or associated with a special installation."

The safest thing to do with such counter productive legislation is ignore it.

Well quite possibly, although generally speaking, sockets on the outside wall of a house are supposed to be notifiable:

"g. Outdoor lighting and power installations are special installations. Any new work in, for example, the garden or that involves crossing the garden is notifiable."

"j. The installation of a socket outlet on an external wall is notifiable, since the socket-outlet is an outdoor connector that could be connected to cables that cross the garden and requires RCD protection."

All nonsense really. As I mentioned before, I asked one of our BCOs how many pure electrical only BNs they get. The answer was a nice round number (so far)!

Reply to
John Rumm

Cowboys working for Indians?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 15:23:00 +0100 someone who may be John Rumm quoted this:-

Well blow me down. Who would ever of thought of that?

Shortly I will be plugging a cable into an outside socket which I installed on the wall myself. The cables will indeed cross the garden, that's how they get to the strimmer, lawn mower, shredder, electric drill and the other tools I use in the garden. They are fed directly from a consumer unit I installed myself. Given that I am the person most likely to die if I did anything wrong I was very careful to do it properly and I make sure it is maintained properly for the same reason.

Reply to
David Hansen

B&Q do a double socket kit for £17. It even has holes for a padlock so people can't tamper. The double socket is now on my shed with three SWA cables connected and the RCD plug is on one of my extension leads.

Reply to
dennis

So you believe in the peace of the summer garden.

And make sure you wear your cycle helmet, or you'll die anyway ;-)

Toom

Reply to
Toom Tabard

The Aldi is a double. I had assumed TMH's was also.

The Medway Handyman coughed up some electrons that declared:

To be fair Dave, B&Q sell CUs and most of those probably don't mention Part P in the instructions - if they even have instructions...

Th "plug in" thing was missed in the first version of Part P IIRC but was added in later. Otherwise you could jack your whole house in via a single

125A commando and call it an appliance. Well, technically if your house is a caravan that logic does work... Go figure.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Single.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

That makes me feel a whole lot better about the extra fiver!

Know what you mean. Every time I buy something, somebody here has just bought one for less :-(

Reply to
The Medway Handyman