Wiring for Cameras

I am running Cat5E and satellite cables around the house to make it reasonably future-proof for the next few years and then someone suggested putting in cabling for security cameras. But initial research suggests that there are currently two types of cabling used for cameras at present ie coax and Cat5- with the latter sometimes using POE (Power Over Ethernet).

Can someone enlighten me on the current trends in this area and recommend which wiring type I should install . Or, should I install both types to each camera location together with power - working on the basis that the cable itself is cheap but installing it costs a lot. - In my case I would want to record camera footage and monitor via selected cameras over the internet.

Vet Tech

Reply to
Vet Tech

Best to have a look at camera technology and price, and see what fits the budget...

For analogue cameras, you'll need some sort of encoder to digitise the data and make it avalable via the 'net. IP enabled cameras can do this directly, but typically cost a bit more right now - however analogue cameras might be easier to mix and record as the technology to do that is very well established.

You still have to get power to analogue cameras, so that might mean a

2nd power line, but I don't know if they take power over co-ax...

Personally (and it's what I've done myself), I'd go for IP cameras - but make sure you can keep the ends totally waterproof until they're actuall in-use, and even then make absolutely sure the connections stay water tight. Water and 48V DC do not mix. (And the issues won't be that of fire, etc. but that of accellerated electrolytic corrosion - even when using low-voltage PoE adapter that some devices use)

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

There seems to be a standard analogue camera cable which has video coax, power, and audio in one sheath. You can buy reels of it from the likes of CPC, but actually several of the cameras I have bought came with such overly long lengths of this cable that I've never needed to buy any extra.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In message , Gordon Henderson writes

Although it is very simple and cheep to convert 75 ohm video to twisted pair and send it over CAT5 and then back again to 75 at the other end, this also allows you to send power over the CAT5 to the camera.

i.e.

Ebay search on CCTV and CAT5 will fetch up many options.

If long cable runs are needed then twisted pair is a lot more efficient than coax, also takes up less space. Although you may need to provide a local PSU at the camera.

Reply to
Bill

If you are planning a PC/network based camera security system (as opposed to an analogue stand alone setup) then the trend is definitely towards the WiFi based cameras. The prices are falling rapidly now and cheap (low res) IP based wireless cameras can be obtained for less than £50. Decent wireless cameras with low light capability start from £150 and upwards, the more expensive ones having there own built-in webserver which allows you to control/view a particular camera from anywhere on the internet.

Phil

Reply to
Phil Jessop

Hum, a security system with RF based links, not sure that is wise.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In what respect?

If you are thinking eavesdropping then the links can have exactly the same WEP 256 bit keys applied to the stream as any WiFi network can - yes, ultimately it is crackable given time - but I assume we are talking opportunity based domestic as opposed to high level military type security problems?

If you are thinking jamming, then again the WiFi system is capable of, and uses channel agility.

If you are thinking range/signal strength issues then obviously this needs to be considered during installation.

A wired system can be overcome with a pair of cutters.

Both systems can be overcome with a well placed bullet.

Phil

Reply to
Phil Jessop

On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 17:34:41 +0100 someone who may be "Phil Jessop" wrote this:-

That doesn't convince me that cameras using radio are wise, quite the reverse in fact. Using WEP would give a false sense of security as WEP is to all intents and purposes useless. It can be cracked with enough information and a camera will be spewing out that information. Capture enough packets and it is easy to crack.

Having cracked the encryption things like false images become possible.

Not something the typical drug addict is going to be able to do, but a more serious attacker will be able to do so. This sort of thing is not in the large organisation bracket any more.

Reply to
David Hansen

I did actually mention that WEP is (eventually) crackable, even with TKIP on top.

If the punter is really serious about fending off government agency nerds then AES encryption is also available on COTS cameras.

Personally I think this is totally OTT for a domestic situation - unless of course you have something really heavy duty to hide ...

Phil

Reply to
Phil Jessop

Jamming.

Within spectrum allocated. Eenough "noise" around 2.4Ghz would wipe everything out Bluetooth, WiFi, wireless video links, the lot.

If you have physical access to the cables and a properly installed system would not allow the cables to be cut without an alarm being raised.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I'm not even thinking of anyone wanting to decrypt the images, all a tealeaf want to do is stop the signal to prevent their actions being seen and/or recorded. The tealeaf has something heavy duty to hide, their indenty...

Fire up a jammer, do the deed, turn of jammer. The chances are that the short period of no camera wouldn't even be noticed and if it was "it came back and is fine now"...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In article , Phil Jessop scribeth thus

And with RF based system you can always jam the radio 2.4 Ghz band or that will sometimes be done for you by simple congestion;!..

Horses for courses .. sometimes wired is right, sometimes radio depends on the application and where U are;)..

Reply to
tony sayer

Dave Liquorice coughed up some electrons that declared:

And a Panasonic Inverter Microwave oven can and does wipe out the entire WIFI band in my house - frequently.

Reply to
Tim S

In article , Tim S scribeth thus

I should get that checked for leakage if its doing that!..

Reply to
tony sayer

tony sayer coughed up some electrons that declared:

It's a known issue with that series. I found a fair few people complaining in the internet - the situation can be improved by rotating the WIFI base station's antenna to a different polarisation...

Reply to
Tim S

Eventually is about 2 mins now for 128 bit WEP using packet injection techniques.

WPA2 however is far more resistant. WiFi is easier to block though even with discrete spread spectrum since the overall allocated bandwidth is quite narrow.

Reply to
John Rumm

If the OP intends using movement detection software to record only when movement is detected, every time the RF signal is affected by anything (e.g. passing police cars etc) then three files will be recorded for each camera (pre-alarm, the movement, and post-alarm). I have 7 movement detection cameras and I recommend copper wires :)

Why not install 2 inch plastic pipes in the walls complete with inspection hatches and a pull-through cord? That will allow for any future improvements in technology. Don't put AC wiring in the conduit of course.

Reply to
Matty F

Some corrections.

1/. Most WiFi is not frequency agile in the sense that it keeps changing channels.It tends to select at start up a channel that is 'empty'.

2/. Depending on traffic, throughput will degrade in the presence of noise.

3/. Microwave ovens actually produce energy as microwaves in the 2.4Ghz band: Its not the power supply, its the oven itself. 600W of 2.4Ghz dioesnt take much leakage to upset a 10mW WiFi system..

4/. High bandwidth video cameras with wireless links are the worst users of bandwidth.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , Vet Tech writes

You can run video over one CAT5 pair with the remaining three pairs being used for power, look into CCTV baluns.

Quick tip though, if you do go with baluns, make sure you buy a *good* PSU and not the crap most CCTV supply places sell or you'll have masses of interference.

Alternatively, one plug top PSU per camera and for preference as close to the camera as you can get it, that way you don't have to worry about voltage drop or induced interference on the power although it's unlikely to bite you unless your house is massive (think hundred metre+ cable runs)

POE is not commonly used for CCTV, it's expensive to set up and IP cameras cost an arm and a leg for anything decent.

If you install CAT5 now and use baluns then you can upgrade to IP cameras if and when you need to but personally for home use, I'd run COAX and CAT5 to each camera location, pulling two cables is as easy as one for most situations.

You can buy a combined power/coax/control composite cable but it's hardly worth the bother, it's expensive and you need a dedicated crimp tool and special sized BNC connectors.

You'll need a DVR, there are plenty out there that will allow you to monitor over then internet, record days and days of video which you can also view over the 'net. You can pick and choose which cameras you want. Mail me off list and perhaps I can arrange a demo.

You might also want to look into Zoneminder, it's open source and is pretty good but you'll need to find a DVR card, most of the cheapies on eBay are junk. Personally, I'd recommend Geovision cards if you decide to go the PC route but for home use or small office use then a dedicated DVR is probably best, far lower power, quieter and easier to find space for also pretty much as flexible now.

Reply to
Clint Sharp

Has anyone managed to crack this as yet, WPA-2 with AES as used on some

5.8 Ghz links?..
Reply to
tony sayer