Expanding Foam & Silicone Lubricant

I'm installing Cat5E and Satellite Coax cabling around the house and have a couple of queries:-

  1. I need to fill in around the cables where I've brought them through a brick wall through an oversize hole. Someone suggested expanding faom but I want to know if the foam will degrade outer sheath of the cables?

  1. Can I use spray on silicome luibricant to lower the friction when pulling the cables through holes in joists etc?

Thanks Vet Tech

Reply to
Vet Tech

No. The Wickes one actually mentions it as being ideal for the job.

Why not? More or less what its for.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

No - it's fine for that. But be aware foam degrades rapidly when exposed to sunlight so should be protected from that.

Not sure what you mean. Use adequate size holes and don't strain the cable by pulling it through too many at once.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Most don't (and make this clear in their docs).

However you might also need to look at intumescent sealants, because of the fire issues. Two-piece clampable intumescent gaskets are nice, because they seal the hole up but they're easy to re-open and re-seal if you ever need to add another cable.

Reply to
Andy Dingley