cleaning stove extractor fan hood

On Sun, 1 Mar 2009 23:24:36 +0000, %steve%@malloc.co.uk (Steve Firth) wrote:

Best i've found is Hagesan grease away, 2.45 in a 500ml spray bottle from amazon.
Or google for other suppliers.
Refills are available for a little bit more but are 6x concentrated.
Doesn't attack aluminium.
:-)
Derek

What works best for us was Mr Muscle professional kitchen cleaner, when that finished we use Flash professional kitchen cleaner which is just as good.
someone wrote:

The stuff you use to clean clothes works fine, albeit powder or liquid. I am at a step far later than you, I have to remove the whole extractor unit and detail steam clean it.
Dave

I've used a steam cleaner to do this sort of thing.
--
Chris French

Steam wallpaper stripper. You can use a handheld "steam cleaener" gadget too, but they're more expensive and heavy to handle compared to a cheap steam-bucket & hose.
Use your chemistry too, whatever works, but steam is the trick.
In message

We got a 'proper' steam cleaner, go it 'free' when I bought a pressure washer. It has a fairly small diameter hose, which makes it very easy to use.
I'm not sure id have ever bought one, but it does work pretty well.
--
Chris French

someone wrote:

IME the key is to keep the water at boiling point. Caustic soda works well, but cant be used on many surfaces. Cream cleaner is more reasonable, and works if the water really is boiling.
NT

Late into this, but never mind: I must tell you to try White Spirit (plus lots of kitchen roll). I've used White Spirit[1] for some years now, having had the same problem you describe.
Having tried lots of things, I discovered that WS works like magic -- no kidding. You don't need elbow grease, but you do need the kitchen roll because of the way it all dissolves so quickly.
Having wiped down (or scrubbed, if it's something like your filters) I wash with warm water and ordinary washing up liquid.
Cheers John
[1] Or is it Turps? Or will either do? I'll find out when I next do this job.
Jonelle wrote:

White spirit works as a solvent, but you also need a detergent to emulsify the grease it removes. If you try to use a mixture of white spirit & say, washing up liquid it will work extreemly well for a very short time.
The detergent molecules in the washing up liquid will try to emulsify the white spirit. Many years ago commercial chemists found a way of blending solvents & detergents to give hard surface cleaners with outstanding cleaning power. The early vesions contained 2-butoxyethanol, but it was found that if you soaked rats in it for 5 years they caught nasty colds - or something along those lines.
Newer versions contain something similar, but greener, and don't work as well, but a good commercial hard surface cleaner is a thing of wonderous beauty...
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk