Extractor hood

A newly moved-in neighbour, after cleaning a kitchen stove extractor fan hood with sray-on Ecover, was alarmed last night to find the thing seemed to be burning internally. There was in fact a small amount of wispy smoke drifting out from the switch area on top of it, even when the thing was off. It did seem to have a slightly "electrical" smell to it.

The thing got turned off at the mains fuse, so no risk now, and I assume they are getting it resolved, but I'm curious as to diagnosis, and information might still be useful. It's not a newly installed thing, and one's first bet is that it's the result of the spray, and would be short term only. If so, it's probably happened to others and confirmation might be useful.

There's also the possibility, of course, that there was damage done and still some risk of shorting. I'm still living the C20th, and have never touched one of these things before, and wasn't even sure of the switch functions.

Reply to
Iain Archer

They sprayed watery liquid on an electrical appliance. Some got inside and shorted something. What's surprising about that? It would have to be dismantled to determine what damage has been done.

Reply to
GB

The used an 'eco' product. Nuff said.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In article , GB writes

The likelihood also being that a residue will have been left behind by the cleanser spray[1], compromising the insulation[2]. That will be quite serious as I'd expect quite a few modern extractors to be class 2 (ie not earthed) so the implications of compromised insulation would be an enhanced risk of shock.

[1] quite probably hygroscopic too so moisture in damp air being drawn through the extractor will re-activate the leakage. [2] possible risk of permanent degradation if 'tracking' has occurred (deposition of trace metal particles in the path of the leakage current leading to permanent damage.
Reply to
fred

Had they used it *before* cleaning it, and was it ok then? If not, there is a possibility that it already had a fault when they moved in - and that the effect of cleaning it is not relevant.

Reply to
Roger Mills

If its the switch, it can either be replaced, or if not, remove it, wash it out, dry it out for a week and refit. Give it an insulation test if at all possible, but a week's dry time (opened) is enough for anything IME.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

With due respect to you and the OP, does his question fill you with confidence in his electrical ability? I'm not convinced he should attempt to follow your advice. If it's a cheap extractor, replace it. If not, 'get a man in'.

Reply to
GB

I guess you're right on that

NT