cleaning out soap odour

I recently used a big glass jar to store some soap powder that had been spilt. The jar was originally a food jar. Problem is the jar now smells of soap powder and is unsuitable for food storage and nothing works in getting rid of the soap odour inside it. I've tried excessive cleaning, left the jar outside with the lid off for days, left it full of rainwater water for days with the lid off, tried bicarbonate soda crystals but still the odour remains. Is there any way to restore the jar so it's suitable to store food again?

Reply to
tg

Smash the jar into small pieces and take the cullet to Pilkingtons, and ask them to blow you another jar.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

"Cullet", that's a new word for me. I know about a "gob" of glass.

Reply to
Graham.

Try filling it with vinegar or concentrated sugar soap and leaving it for a few days.

Reply to
Wesley

Yeah, it's a proper word. I came across it when I was learning about the glass recycling game.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Does the jar's lid have a cardboard liner? If so, that's quite likely to retain any odour.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

You can try microwaving a half a lemon in it and then wash normally and wipe clean. Limonene is a very good and basically harmless solvent of most things. You might need to do it twice to remove every trace.

If that won't shift it then nothing will.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Leave it out in strong sunshine (when available!).

Reply to
polygonum

Could it be that its the outside that smells, not the inside? Its probably safe now, but I do know what you mean. I have a corner of the kitchen that smells like that and no amount of cleaning seems to help at all.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Isn't that what you do to a badger these days?

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

Lemons, like many natural things, has several good uses. As a mouth deodoriser for one. Some claim it's anti cancer abilities and, unofficial reports say that a major drug company is working with lemons to try to extract the functional parts of the lemon that do it. Sadly, like the rest of the medical system, they want you to pay for the processed product rather than sell you a 'lemon'! How kind.

Reply to
RayL12

You find your way about by small though, don't you, like a bloodhound?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

gosh you're so funny

Reply to
tg

ok thanks for that, I'll give it a try

Reply to
tg

If it's reasonable heat-proof, you could try putting it in your oven, winding up the temperature to it's highest setting and letting it sit there for a couple of hours, and then turning the oven off and letting it cool slowly with the jar inside.

No idea if it would work though.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

No, Bill; that would be a Dachshund.