Cleaning or sanding fibreglass

Hi

I have just moved home and the outdoor electric meter box has a broken latch (which I will replace). The previous home-owner has over the years used a variety of different types of sticky tape to keep the door shut and this tape has left a lot of adhesive on the door and frame.

How can I remove this sticky gunge prior to re-painting? can these fibreglass boxes be sanded?

Reply to
Count de Monet

Lighter-fluid usually shifts most adhesives.

Reply to
Skipweasel

You would do better to try a solvent cleaner first. Sanding is likely to damage the gel coat and I doubt it would be that effective at removing adhesive residue anyway. There are commercial products specifically made for the job - look in almost any ironmonger - although I would use petrol as I always keep a can of it for the lawnmower.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Especially when lit.

Reply to
Ronald Raygun

"Nightjar wrote in news:Pd- snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I'd be tempted to sand the whole kit and caboodle and put on a new gel coat, a second fine sanding to provide a key then paint.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Particularly on a gas-meter box?

Reply to
Skipweasel

Gel coat is designed not to cure completely when exposed to air. That improves the bond to the next layer when you lay up in a mould, but makes it difficult to apply to existing GRP. It is possible to overcome that by using cling film, but keeping the existing gel coat is usually the best option.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

(%EMAIL) wibbled on Saturday 05 February 2011 12:14:

+1

I would try:

Surgical spirit, IPA White spirit

IPA will shift most gums but can take a bit of rubbing. The other two may be quicker depending...

Reply to
Tim Watts

If it's still soft and sticky "Label Remover" is the dog's ...

If not and the tape has left a hard and petrified residue other solvents (Meths ?) might be better, although no doubt a decorator would just rub it down and paint it!

Derek G

Reply to
Derek G.