Cleaning Aluminium?

We've got a new gas cooker, and the burners are made of aluminium, with what would be described as a "diamond cut" finish on an alloy wheel - basically, they look more or less like they've come straight off the lathe.

What can you use to clean them? Bits of stuff inevitably get burnt onto them, and I can't just bung it in some caustic soda, as it's aluminium...

Reply to
Doki

Brasso is good on ali sheet (or was it perspex), dunno about diamond cut though.

Reply to
brass monkey

Sounds like its 'linished.'

NT

Reply to
NT

KoH solution will clean the surface, be careful if left too long/used too strong you wont have anything left.

Reply to
Vernon

I was hoping for some kind of household cleaner with strong degreasing properties that doesn't eat aluminium. Anything that corrodes ally pretty much instantly buggers up the finish.

Reply to
Doki

Removing grease is easy enough with many products. It's when it gets baked on that's the trouble. And is no longer grease.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No, it will remove it.

be careful if left too long/used

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

KOH (potasium hydroxide). Powerful enough to do the job, just about benign enough not to damage the finish. Rinse carefully though.

A steam cleaner (or wallpaper stripper) is useful too.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Not easy to find though. Soap making supply companies sell it IIRC.

Reply to
Stuart Noble