Clap activated relay switch

Hi

I've got a few lamps as presents that I'm keen to use, but for various reasons find that switching the things on is pretty awkward.

What I'm looking for is some sort of device which can sit between the power supply and the lights, and that will activate them if I clap. It sounds like a pretty simple device, but I haven't been able to find such a thing - does it exist? Has anyone ever come across them, and if so are they actually any good?

TIA

Reply to
CM

What about plug in remote control thingies - about a fiver per lamp from the sheds. A reliable clap operated device would be expensive to perfect. Pete

Peter Stockdale

You could make one...

These ones are nice (and not dissimilar) - requiring a double hand clap to toggle the output:

bit less sophisticated but simpler to build:

as good since it is non latching:

John Rumm

Try local maplin (or

order code: RS75S

Reply to
blaildyors

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone - I'm not sure I've got the electronics knowhow to actually build the thing - is there a completed product marketed anywhere? Am I perhaps asking in the wrong newsgroup?

Reply to
CM

The maplin link you were pointed at above (maplin order code RS75S) in in fact a kit made by velleman. You can see it on their web site also:

that as it stands the relay on this kit is not up to switching mains - you would need to use it to switch a secondary "bigger" relay for that.

Reply to
John Rumm

Maplin RS75 at 14.99. Relay output may be pulse or toggle. One or two clap selection. It's a kit, but pretty simple to build.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Sorry. I have just got to ask ;-)

How does the relay switch know that you have the clap?

I'll get me coat.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I've been waiting for someone to say that. I was tempted to say it myself, but I resisted.

Reply to
Rob Morley