Cladding the barn

Those of you paying attention will know that I have been constructing cavity brick sub walls to infill an agricultural steel frame barn. Today I am celebrating laying the final brick!

The next move is to fabricate sectional Oak framing to sit on the brickwork and fill the gaps between the stanchions. As we are approaching Winter weather, I am getting nervous about exposing my carefully seasoned Oak to rain and frost.

The original plan was to fit 50mm Kingspan/Celotex to the exterior and clad with feather edge boards on battens. I am now wondering if there is an affordable weatherproof board which can double/treble as protection for the frame, vapour barrier and visible interior finish?

I have enough 12mm ply to do about half the job. Presumably a stiff coat of oil based paint would sort the vapour barrier issue or is ply OK on its own?

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Will this satisfy part L 2010? I haven't assimilated the detail but even B1 use seems to need a lot of thermal insulation. I'm told 20% renewable energy but even woodburning doesn't let you off the hook of the heat loss.

AJH

Reply to
andrew

I haven't checked.

Building control wanted 75mm Kingspan where part of a barn wall overlapped domestic use.

I have 80mm in the roof but the stanchions would be huge thermal bridges.

I don't see what regulations I would be breaching for background heat in an agricultural workshop. More foam could be put between the studs but that's a job for another day.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

If such a board exists, and I don't know of one, it's unlikely to be affordable. I'm in the process of cladding my 'shed' in 19mm waney edge oak which cost me £14.50 per m^2 which is about twice the price of ply but will hopefully last longer ( and will definitely look better) I put breathable roofing felt between the studs and the oak

Reply to
nicknoxx

Wuoldnt polystyrene be a better bet here, some added depth but less cost.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

Umm.. I haven't looked at costing closely. Most of the funding has come from an insurance pay out following an arson attack.

Wall thickness is an issue where external cladding needs securing through the insulation. TNP has suggested using horizontal timber to support the insulation and provide convenient fixings but I am concerned about the appearance from the interior.

The prospective use is to gather my scattered workshop arrangements into one building. Partly to release other buildings for letting and to save my legs wandering about looking for particular tools. Fire risk is an issue with part timber construction, especially if I mix arc welding with woodworking.

I was hoping someone would know of a *faced* Sterling board or weather resistant particle board or even a *faced* insulation board. There are considerable discounts on insulation board as sizeable orders come direct from stockholders rather than the BM.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I suppose you could use the celotex with 6mm bwp ply pre glued to it, as used for warm flat roofs, I bought a couple of pallets but it was pretty expensive with 100mm foam. Also the ply wasn't stuck on very accurately unless the variable overlap was there for a reason.

Keep the ply side in to look at and carry on as for celotex with the cladding.

AJH

Reply to
andrew

That sounds more likely. Maybe the jointing is meant to be behind the slab? I found the bitumen faced stuff on the Kingspan site. There is mention of glass fibre finish elsewhere but the illustrations are not very clear.

Yes. Roll some white paint on first.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Any wood-cement board is exterior grade (IIRC), Class-0 fire, and can be had in sheets 6mm thick.

I know 1200x597x6mm is =A314 from B&Q if you want to go look at it, but I suspect 2400x1200 is probably only 2-2.5x that price - a trade name is Versapanel, there are many similar products out there. Some based on cement-wood, cement-silica and so on.

There is also a cement "plank" cladding which is installed as a horizontally overlapping shutterboard. Not cheap, but outlasts wood hugely and since expansion/contraction is so much less paint will stick & last very well (you need a good paint re UV, sikkens overcoatable paints are good here). It is useful if you want a garage close to a boundary without going for brick/block re "substantially non-combustible material" but want a wooden-potting-shed look.

Reply to
js.b1

In message , js.b1 writes

Interesting. I've not come across that.

1200x2400x10mm is around £20/sheet in quantities. Hmm... bloody heavy though.

I can get 12mm shuttering ply for £13.00+VAT in 20+ quantities.

Whatever I use will end up as the visible surface between the studs so needs to be paintable.

Thanks

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Celotex/kingspan do a composite board often used for industrial buildings/shopping centres. Probably expensive, but the offcuts in the skip of a recent shopping development looked interesting. I didn't dare take a "sample"

Reply to
<me9

In message , snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net writes

Horrifyingly expensive! It starts at 90mm + 5.5mm ply which may be the minimum required to meet the regulations. Price around £55/8x4 sheet!

Cheap ply backed by battened on Celotex/Kingspan is the current plan.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Tim Lamb saying something like:

What about insulated box corrugated sheeting? Seconds available v. cheaply.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

In message , Grimly Curmudgeon writes

Would certainly do the job, cheaply and much more quickly. However, I am attempting to *future proof* this building. Currently I have an existing range of Victorian barns and outbuildings constructed with timber frame siding on red brick walls clad in feather edge board.

By matching the construction style and appearance, I may gain Brownie points with planning when it comes to the tricky question of what to do with the *held up by Woodworm holding hands* Victorian barn. Currently this is not listed but there was a local outcry when I did some preparatory groundwork to the existing foundations; culminating in a visit from the Enforcement Officer.

Apart from that, it is good practice and keeps me out of other mischief!

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message , Grimly Curmudgeon writes

This'll confuse the threading...

Watch out for seconds in this format. I bought some about 5 years ago and was warned by the suppliers that they were unable to issue a certificate that the foam used met the current fire regulations.

This is probably not an issue for agricultural storage/livestock but would be for an occupied building.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Tim Lamb saying something like:

Not a problem - I'll be using them for external insulation of a concrete wall.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon