When is a shed not a shed?

I have 3 sheds, approximate ages 10, 20 and 30 years and in various stages of bio-degradation.

I would like to replace them with one robust over-engineered "mother of all sheds".

  • Concrete slab on DPC
  • 3m x 5m area
  • 19mm Constructional cladding TGV with vapour barrier on 4x2 frame
  • Apex roof
  • More than 5m from existing house, in back garden
  • More than 2m from any boundary
  • No neighbour objection (in fact positive support)

In having a healthy experience-based disrespect for council bureaucrats I do not want to require any kind of building control or planning permission at all.

Q. Ideally I would like to build a brick wall (6-8 courses) with the timber section of the shed above that. In doing this (or even thinking this) am I exposing myself to flak from the regs police?

Local council web resources are very unhelpful. When is a shed not a shed...but an "outbuilding"?

David

Reply to
Vortex

AFAIK, a shed is essentially a temporary construction, an outbuilding a permanent one.

sPoniX

Reply to
s--p--o--n--i--x

Take a look here...

regs apply (applied) to Coventry... YMMV

Reply to
Paul King

Take a look at some other local authority web sites. There are several with useful information that you can find easily with a google search.

I'm not sure about the brick wall aspect. Certainly check that - it rings slight warning bells.

I believe that the floor area is OK.

Some other things to watch are:

- Does it result in coverage of more than a certain proportion of the overall plot? I guess not from the numbers you have given.

- Make the roof apex peak less than 4m. This can be done by reducing the pitch if need be to maintain the area you want. I did mine at approx 20 degrees for example.

- Check to see that there are no covenenants or LA removal of permitted development rights for the area or property.

Reply to
Andy Hall

In message , Vortex writes

[...]

lan_pdf_606151.pdf

Doesn't matter if it is a shed or an outbuilding. As long as it is within permitted development limits, it will be exempted.

Reply to
Philip Stokes
"

================== This 'dwarf wall' base construction used to be the common construction of greenhouses so it's probably O.K. , but still worth checking.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Ok,

First step, check your council website for the regulations,

THEN and i would do this, to prevent any aggrevation afterwoods, as th shed you will be building is looking to become expensive

Put in a householders enquiry form.

Once you have this back (not longer then 2 weeks) you are all cleare and can start building, and yes even 6 courses of bricks

My shed/cabin is about 4 by 6 mtrs but the most important part is th appex, this should not exceed the 4 mtrs

Well i would say succes

-- Mcluma

Reply to
Mcluma