Wall construction

I need to fit internal insulation to an existing single concrete block walled shed. About 3m x 5m.

The intention is to re-purpose as a toilet block serving visitors and people employed at my farmyard. If building control get involved, I guess provision for ladies and disabled will be required.

Ceiling will be plasterboard on 150mm joists so I thought 150mm rockwool. The original idea for the walls was 75mm PIR foam secured to the outer with spacer screws and battens topped with 12mm ply and vapour barrier.

Having looked at some prices I am wondering if there are other cheaper ways?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

You need to have quite a large number of "workers" before separate provision on sex or gender grounds is required. You may be better "discovering" an existing wc in this shed before making "minor" improvements to the shed to avoid requirements for wheelchair access, Though this might not be very burdensome.

Reply to
Robert

when we were refurbisning part of our Village Hall some years ago, there wasa question "Should it be the Ladies or the Gents that had the wheelchair access?". So I said " why not both?" That's how it was done,

Reply to
charles

No, just get a sign that says 'All gender restroom'.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

The existing *toilet* is in an adjoining *shed* but with no handwashing facility.

The Robot Centre:-) employs an apprentice and we had an inspection from his university! Much hurried installation of fire extinguishers and escape route notices. Nothing was said about the toilet but I was embarrassed:-)

My thinking is to combine disabled and ladies. Level access and wide doors not a major issue.

Usage fluctuates but might amount to 10 people on site over the course of a day.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

HSE Guidelines are:

1-5 people, female only or mixed use 1 toilet 1 wash basin 6-25 people, female only or mixed use 2 toilet 2 wash basins 1-15 men only 1 toilet 1 urinal

The numbers relate to the number of people likely to be there at any one time

For ten people:

If you make the toilets mixed use, you need two toilets and two wash basins.

If you make separate provisions for men and women, you still need two toilets (three if you are likely to have more than five women on site), a urinal and a wash basin for each ladies' toilet. Men don't seem to need to wash their hands according to the HSE.

Simplest answer would appear to be two mixed use toilets, each with a wash basin and one of those with disabled facilities.

Reply to
nightjar

a bad lot

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

yes disable farm workers in wheelchairs charging about fields...what next...how woke

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

snip

Thanks for clarifying that.

Handwashing does occur; judging by the grubby state of the existing sink!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Why would you not want it to be disabled friendly, its only wider access, turning circle and some rails from what I can see. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

You assume it's hands?

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

charles pretended :

What about all those people who identify as neither sex, or is it now 'none binary'?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

we will soon have to supply eastern closets and new houses without baths in case the muslims are offended....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

That's easy. Just provide a hole in the ground with a couple of foot rests and a short length of hosepipe connected to a cold tap.

But be awkward and put the hosepipe on the incorrect side of the 'loo' so they have to use the 'wrong' hand.

Reply to
Andrew

A more pertinent question is does this building have a DPC in those block walls ?. If not then some form of tanking might be needed.

Reply to
Andrew

He might get a visit from BBC Countryfile

Reply to
Andrew

If planning and building control may come calling you might want to be aware of what Approved Document M has to say about "Sanitary accommodation in buildings other than dwellings". In principle rather a lot more than wide door, more space and a few rails for a disabled loo.

Reply to
Robin

They don?t bother with a hosepipe, that?s why they have a wrong hand.

Reply to
John Brown

Excellent and perceptive query:-)

Not visibly. Hard concrete block, ventilated on both sides. I had considered bringing the oversite membrane up inside the outer walls. The site is under a canopy so the concern will be rising damp rather than rain penetration. TNP has assured us this only reaches a few feet above soil level:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

yummy

Reply to