Cladding a concrete shed in OSB

At the end of the build we are going to have some sheets of OSB left over. Mainly those used for blocking up the space where the bifolds are going.

Now I have a problem with damp seeping through the mortar between the concrete blocks in the single block wall.

Recommendaton has ben to clad the wall.

So 'free' OSB seems to be the cladding of choice.

The question now is should I just screw the OSB straigt to the wall, or perhaps put a frame of battens on the wall and leave an air gap or fill with thin insulation. I can't come out too far as the walls are pretty close to the boundary fences.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

OSB will eventually breakdown outside.

I suggest spraying or painting the inside surface of blocks with sythaprufe or similar (wickes do a cheaper one). thin firstcoat then just keep recoating till you have used used it all. Use cheap throwaway brushes or even a cheap broom as you will not be able to clean it out (keep in a bucket of clean water between coats) This will waterproof the wall. Then batten it out , insulate if required (keeping any polystyrene away from the bitumen with thin plastic - old carier bags etc) and use your osb on the inside. Painting it white with cheap as chips emulsion will improve the lighting enormously.

I have a 30 sq m workshop built like this and it is as dry as a bone inside and it keeps warm with minimal heating. Same scheme used on the floor too.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Interesting. Couple of things: (1) I intend to paint the OSB so hopefully this will keep it from breaking down too quickly. (2) The inside of the blocks have already been painted white - will this afffect the application of the synthaprufe?

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts