Circular Saw in Screwfix

I have a jigsaw, I have 3 power drills inc sds, a 3kVa 110v Tranny, 2 Makita battery 14v drills, I have more than £5k worth of assorted engineering/mechanicing/bodging/fixing tools and a mobile workshop to keep it all in.....But.....

The Direct Power BP185J saw for ..........................Wait for it...............................................£24.26 INC Vat is definitely worth a punt !

You can't get one off Ebay or Lidls etc for that price!

I've got a surround to build around a concealed cistern in the bathroom to finish off that corner and some boxing around some pipes to sort too, around a dozen or so cuts or so if I get it right first time (Yeah as if !) .

Probably the only time this year it might be used so has anyone tried it or one like it?

Reply to
RW

And it seems it was £19.99! (Mind I have seen SF reviews attached to the wrong product.)

Reply to
Rod

Circular saws are one of those power tools where you can get away with buying cheap.

Make up a sawboard

and you can make cuts with amazing precision even with a cheapy.

The Direct Power BP185J comes with a 24 tooth TCT blade which is a good GP blade, but is a bit of an odd size 185 x 20 so the choice of blades ma be limited.

It doesn't have a riving knife, which seems to be an increasing trait. Bear that in mind if ripping timber.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Not the Direct Power one I have, it was around 20GBP but I brought it a few years back. The whole saw is just so flexible you have no hope of cutting anything square to the "foot" of the saw. I just use it for cutting up scrap timber now, particularly stuff that has nails in it, and I brought a Makita for real work, infinitely better.

Reply to
Cod Roe

But things to watch out for are cheap, underpowered motors and flimsy baseplates. And some models are so crappily made that no amount of adjustment will make the saw blade perpendicular to the base.

Seeing as you have a transformer, Wickes were selling off Hitachi

110Vs at fifty quid a couple of days ago.
Reply to
mike

I'm surprised you've managed for so long without one. They're the only easy way to make accurate cuts in board. If you clamp a straight edge to the work and use that as a guide you should be able to get factory quality edges.

I can't comment on the one you've mentioned - but suspect there's not so much difference between makes as with other saws - jigsaws in particular seem to be price sensitive. Although ease of adjustment and quality of blade may vary a bit.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks for reminding me about that, there are many other posting and web pages that refer to the sawboard, but the links to the page for 'how to make and use' never work because the site it was on has been closed down, so I have dug it out on the web.archive site. If anyone is looking for the now missing weblink from that site titled, "An excellent description of how to make and use this device is at" it can be found here:-

picked up a nearly new 1200w Performance Power (B&Q brand) circular saw with laser for £7.50 off eBay, but it was in collecting distance, which saved on the high postage charge.. The saw cuts brilliantly, the angle setting is a bit off but for that price, I can live with it. Argos do a similar circular saw without laser for £24.49, which gets reasonable reviews for the price/quality ratio. Link:-

Harry Stottle

They are truly excellent for accurate cutting, I carry one on the van & use it all the time. That nice Mr Rumm has added a description on the DIY Wiki thingy to preserve it for posterity. I gave the link earlier, but here it is again

The Medway Handyman

Right Chaps....

Verdict.. so far.

It *has* got a riving knife contrary to the description on the webshyte. (Although it's only *just* marginally wider than the offset to the teeth on the blade. Made cutting a length of 100 x 25 down to 75 x 25 fairly easy.

The 90 deg cut is about a degree off, depending how you align it with the marks. A few test cuts and a check with a true set square sorted that one. Haven't tried the other angles yet, but will try the 45 deg tomoz.

The depth gauge is a general guide. OK for normal use.

The TCT blade has less TCT than a hand tile scribe type cutter ;-), but hey....Good saw blades ain't *that* expensive.

The guide is marked quite well. Seems OK but wouldn't be good enough for the professional chippy but good for the DIYer who *might* not need "Cabinet Maker" accuracy.

Power is fine for it's rated depth if you take your time. (Cutting Pine board) Hardwood *might* be a challenge. Again back to the person doing the job rather than the saw itself.

The "adapter" for the exhaust is a lump of tubular plastic split lengthwise. Fits my Henry vac OK. Strip of gaffa tape and it removes all the debris and works well.

Tools supplied for changing blades adequate. Allen key would be good as a "Podger" rather than a torque applying device ;-) Peg spanner is *ok*

Base could be heavier, but heavier means more expensive and physically heaver to use.

The plastic case was fkd upon opening the cardboard box. As it's a rather flimsy blow-moulded lump and I really aren't that bothered about it I'll give it 5/10.

It chops down old casings used for the transport of equipment for my job quite well........excellent prep' for my woodburner kindling.

Overall.....A good little saw for occasional DIY use with expected foibles for under £25 !

...7/10.

BTW...... Plumb 4 less

do a concealed cistern for under £34 (Plus £4.95 p&p) and it just *works* !

Now for the boxing in..........Wish me luck

Reply to
RW