chrome plated plastic

Does anyone hate chrome plated plastic as found on plugholes etc ? Replacing a sink etc, I want metal parts like the one I take out. How can you detect this before you buy ? I think it stinks.

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

1) Weight 2) Price

Might it be possible to re-use the old plughole?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I agree it sinks!

-- Cameron

Reply to
Cameron

Magnet?

Reply to
OG

Good idea. Takes me back to testing second hand cars with a magnet in a cloth, to see if the wing was made entirely of papier mache. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

The plated metal is usually brass or bronze, neither of which are magnetic, unlike car wings. Well, some bits of car wings.

Reply to
Aidan

Unless you are purchasing a second-hand McLaren F1 !

I wonder if some type of metal-stud-finder would do the trick. Or wander round the bathroom section of B&Q with your metal detector and headphones on. I tried tapping the plugholes, but they sound the same to me. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

But none of mine. :-)

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

A good metal detector probably will, if properly set (which is going to be fun). There is metal there, in a continuous sheet, which will probably make the stud finder go off regardless.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Reliant Robin!

Andrew

Reply to
google

I guess Land-Rover of a certain age.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Bond Bug (in restoration) and SS1 (3 of)