Cherry hardwood front door

I've seen a big slab of american red cherry that I think I can cut to make an exterior door. But the door would be fully exposed to the elements. Bad idea or can it be treated to protect it?

Thanks.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur 51

If it's still "green" and untreated or dried I reckon it will warp like a donkeys hind leg.

Otherwise

It is described as being kiln dried.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur 51

Hi,

For fully exposed timber I'd expect it might be best to use a wood stain, like Sikkens/Ronseal etc, and see their product leaflets/web sites to select the best one. If you want minimal colour change then go for a very light shade that gives the most acceptable colour. It would be well worth trying a reasonable sample on offcuts.

Another way to do it is use top quality varnish and 'flat' it to get rid off the gloss if you want. However if not coated/recoated as required it could peel and the whole lot may need to be sanded off.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Oh BTW try posting to rec.woodworking.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Everything in a timber merchant's stock is "kiln dried" to a point. American hardwoods e.g. are usually specified as 10-12% moisture content. I'd say the whole project would be a bit of a gamble. Did it fall off the back of a lorry or something?

Reply to
Stuart Noble

That will be OK then

HOWEVER you MUST make it from panels..the overall winter-to-summer swelling etc will otherwise make a mockery of your fine carpentry.

Essentially transverse top and bottom bits, vertical side bits and T & G slotted pieces on between.

Plus the usual drip sills etc.

Its a fairly big job with hand tools, and even with a table saw, its a fair bit of work anyway..ideally table saw and table router needed.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The design I want has 2 inner verticals so there will be 3 panels at the bottom and 3 at the top although one of these will be glass. The top, middle and bottom horizontals will be 6" wide...so Will 4.5" wide outer verticals and 3.5" inner verticals make it stiff enough? Thanks.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur 51

Should be..depends on wood thickness. I'd be aiming for at least 50mm.

And don't depend on glue to hold it together. Pegs or brass screws...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Because of the elements issue I feel that I should use M & T on all joints. I have to do some futher reading on this and I will cut some practise pieces before I start on the door.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur