Cheap simple audio amplifiers.

Where might I go for basic audio amplifiers?
All I want is something that has a 3.5mm input jack, and speaker connectors. Everything else, perhaps even a volume control, is extra.
Something around 20W.
This would be for miscellaneous household audio. At the moment I've got various stereo units doing this, but they are rather large, and a neater solution would be nice.
Thanks.
Maplin do all sorts of modules if you are able to wire these up to a PSU.

connectors.
rather
Ian Stirling wrote:

Depending upon how much you want to pay and how much you want to DIY, you could try Maplins (www.maplin.co.uk)- eg, N66AW 18W mono amp for 9.99, though obviously PSU, connectors enclosure and pre amp (if needed) would be on top of this.
HTH,
Chris
--
cut along the dotted line to reply

"Ian Stirling" wrote | Where might I go for basic audio amplifiers? | All I want is something that has a 3.5mm input jack, | and speaker connectors. Everything else, perhaps even | a volume control, is extra. | Something around 20W.
Hmm, real watts or music power watts?
| This would be for miscellaneous household audio. | At the moment I've got various stereo units doing this, | but they are rather large, and a neater solution would | be nice.
Those amplified speakers used for computers. I don't know how many W my Altec Lansings with a subwoofer pump out, but they do the business on a Roland Virtual Guitar. Many people will have spares from buying new PC systems.
Alternatively for something a bit more gutsy than the typical maplin modules
http://www.bkelec.com/Diy/pp50.htm 50 W amp module, GBP 60. Includes power supply, just fits to back of a cabinet.
http://www.bkelec.com/Professional/Amplifiers/ClassD/ClassD.htm 600 W Class D amp module. Okay that one's not cheap :-)
Owain

Actual real RMS watts.
The inventor of peak music power should be burnt at the stake.

<snip>
I have speakers, I am just looking for the amps. Thanks for the references, I was wondering if such a thing existed already boxed, as it's in the range of a 1 chip class D amp, which could do it lots cheaper than with linear amps, as well as using less power, and needing less heatsinking.

Most of the IC suppliers have demo boards using their amplifier chips - perhaps you could tie one of these to a big wallwart.

You'd be talking about a very weedy amp if a wall wart would power it.
--
*The e-mail of the species is more deadly than the mail *

You can get surprisingly powerfull SMPS wall-warts. The biggest I remember off-hand is around 30W.
The key is to run the transformer at a really high frequency, so you can fit more power through.
Easily enough to power a gigawatt of speakers (Peak Invented Music Power).

You've still got the problem of the reservoir caps though - these need to be a decent size for adequate 'music power' ;-)
--
*The more I learn about women, the more I love my car

I'd be inlcined to buy something off eBay. Much easier than building it.
For example;
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item092291546&category280

The actual building of an amp can be ok - especially if a kit - but making it look good is a different matter.
--
*Cover me. I'm changing lanes.

Dave Plowman wrote:

Put itin with the speaker in a veneered MDF box.

100W PSU running at 450 kHz internally. Alcatel make it for small telecomms products.
"Dave Plowman" wrote | > Most of the IC suppliers have demo boards using their amplifier | > chips - perhaps you could tie one of these to a big wallwart. | You'd be talking about a very weedy amp if a wall wart would power it.
Amps are like computers - real ones have 3-phase hardwired in. Anything less is consumer gear :-)
Owain

I have a 240W wallwart, well actually it's a dangly A6 size three mm thick PSU. Thinnest and smallest I've ever seen.

Who makes it ? Always on the lookout for better PSUs.

I don't know who makes it, I bought it from Targus the computer bag making people, but it's a rebadged item, I'm fairly sure. Voltage selection and polarity is changed by changing the tip on the power lead. I have tips for my computer(s) and for my mobile phone and CD player. It saves having to cart a load of PSUs around.

You must have some very large sockets if something A6 size fits them.
--
*If I throw a stick, will you leave?

It dangles. Short flexible lead to a 13A plug top.

Not a wall wart, then. Simply an external power supply.
--
*Why is the time of day with the slowest traffic called rush hour?