Banana plugs and sockets for audio

Last time I investigated audio connections I was somewhat distracted by a long discussion of Speakon vs Jack Plug.
Looking back, I realise that I was thinking of banana plugs - the ones that fit into the back of speaker binding posts.
If we accept that the banana plug option on binding posts is acceptable for audio connections then presumably banana plug patch cables should work O.K.
So this suggests that if I run the audio cables under the floor then I could terminate them in banana plug sockets.
These would be set directly in the floor to give minimal disruption (I hope).
Apart from mounting them in a custom made metal plate screwed to the floor, are there any other mounting methods which spring to mind?
Wall mounting is probably not an option because we have just had the walls replastered.
Skirting board mounting might be an option but I'm not sure there is enough depth, and this also sounds a bit fiddly.
I am assuming at the moment I will run wires directly from the floor sockets to the binding posts on the AV amplifier, although a patch panel at the back of the audio stack is another option.
At some point I might split out the two main speakers and amplify them from a separate audio amp so I can have a stereo set-up independent of the AV amp, in which case patch cables sounds quite attractive.
Anyway, product suggestions welcome :-)
Cheers
Dave R
As a connector they're fine. Just might be slightly more difficult to make a nice looking job of them if they show. But beauty is in the eye of the thingie.
--
*I know a guy who's addicted to brake fluid. He says he can stop any time.*

On 02/05/2014 13:59, David.WE.Roberts wrote:

Drill hole in floor and run cable directly to amplifer or speaker?
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
On Fri, 02 May 2014 14:12:30 +0100, Martin Brown wrote:

I may from time to time wish to remove the speakers and store them so I was looking for an alternative to hard wiring.
However, not a bad suggestion otherwise :-)
Cheers
Dave R
On 02/05/2014 13:59, David.WE.Roberts wrote:

I've done that - white blanking plate, drill a couple of holes, screw in some banana plug/binding posts from maplin, attach speaker cable at the back. Doesn't take much depth - less than a mains socket.
But the obvious question is where are the wires going? In my case they were going round behind the skirting (next to some pipes), so skirting board was the obvious place to put them. If they were going under the floor, floor plate becomes something to consider.

If you've not completely fixed on banana plugs, can I suggest 4 pin XLR connectors instead?
http://cpc.farnell.com/CN00310 (despite their duff pic showing a 3 pin, the description is of the 4 pin one)
Then you'd just have a single hole in the floor and a pretty much flush finish with the mating connector removed (latching button excepted). They're also pretty shallow so skirting mounting might be possible.
I used 4 pin ones so I could have both stereo pairs available at each socket outlet although you could parallel them up if you think the rated 16A isn't enough.
Mating half is:
http://cpc.farnell.com/CN00500 (again with fookd up pic)
I use:
http://cpc.farnell.com/CN00497 (again wrong pic)
and
http://cpc.farnell.com/CN00307 (again wrong pic)
for the connection from the amp.
A pair of the panel plugs/sockets will nicely fit side by side on a drilled 50x50mm euromod modular system blank and single plate if you want a skirting mount.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
On Friday, May 2, 2014 1:59:30 PM UTC+1, David.WE.Roberts wrote:

if your amp doesnt mind the odd short
I'll admit I'm wondering why you need to terminate the cable with anything
NT
On Friday, May 2, 2014 1:59:30 PM UTC+1, David.WE.Roberts wrote:

Use a speaker connection plate and recess it into the floorboards.
A circular plate will allow a holesaw to be used to cut a recess with a neat edge. http://www.cybermarket.co.uk/shop/speaker-building/terminal/monacor-st-960gm-speaker-ter-855100.html
or you can get individual terminal posts with threaded studs long enough to go through 25mm board for mounting directly into the floorboards.
Owain
On 02/05/2014 13:59, David.WE.Roberts wrote:

I put in faceplates in several rooms .. which have gold plated banana and binding post combined ... so could use either ... in the end I just used gold plated banana plugs.

If you're going to the bother of installing wiring and outlets, surely you'd situate the outlets behind each speaker and not have wires trailing? Which means you could then use the cheaper 3 pin XLR - if you really must. Or use a connector designed for speakers - the Speakon. ;-) The panel mount socket fits the same cutout as an XLR.
--
*Ham and Eggs: Just a day's work for a chicken, but a lifetime commitment

On Friday, 2 May 2014 13:59:30 UTC+1, David.WE.Roberts wrote:

Arhhhh No NOT banana plugs we aren't Americans . They are 4mm leads either male/plug or female/socket.

I didn't realise that the American had such tiny bananas. Usually everything of theirs is bigger than ours.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Probably not clear from the description but I do have one at each speaker location (on either side of a chimney breast). Having both wired at each position means I can have the amp either side.
XLRs chosen cos they're a) small, b) shiny :-) and c) cos Speakons look like cheap shit! (IMNSHO).
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
On Fri, 02 May 2014 16:10:22 +0100, Rick Hughes wrote:

My only reservation with binding posts is that they stand proud of the floor and are thus prey to impact damage.
Cheers
Dave R
Also, I'd not really want them sticking up out of the floor, you could easily kick one and break plug and socket off.
Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Dave Plowman (News)" < snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk> wrote in message

Right. I think. ;-)

The Speakon/Powercon is the strongest most reliable connector of its type I know of - and I've used just about everything over the years. I personally don't like XLRs being used for non industry standards - although I realise this is a personal thing. The 4 pin XLR is commonly a low voltage DC connecter there.
--
*i souport publik edekashun.