Cheap simple audio amplifiers.

Who makes it ? Always on the lookout for better PSUs.

Reply to
G&M

You must have some very large sockets if something A6 size fits them.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

I don't know who makes it, I bought it from Targus the computer bag making people, but it's a rebadged item, I'm fairly sure. Voltage selection and polarity is changed by changing the tip on the power lead. I have tips for my computer(s) and for my mobile phone and CD player. It saves having to cart a load of PSUs around.

Reply to
Steve Firth

It dangles. Short flexible lead to a 13A plug top.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Not a wall wart, then. Simply an external power supply.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

locations).

suitable

If you're handy witha soldering iron you could try this site:-

Neil Jones

Believe me, it doesn't matter. Those all in one chips have thermal shutdown anyway.

I spent a large part of my life designing audio power stuff. For disco or gutauisr/keyboarsd use, yes, the bugers run em at full power contnsuoly. For PA or music uses below the level of gross distortion, teh peak to mean levels are something like 3-10:1.

I actually think that 'music power' is indeed a meaningful thing. Its possible to design an amp that may have an RMS rating of 20W, that sounds as loud for teh same distortion as a 100W true RMS amp.

It depends on what you want it for. For HiFi use I'd rather have peak power than RMS power, tho both togther are nice.

Class D sucks by and large. Not very hifi - even today.

Someone was selling a mixed bag of car radio chips on there. These are really incredibly easy to get working - just follow the manufactureres design notes. Fed from a 12v AC transformer/rectifier/capacitor (about

4700uF) to give about 16-18v DC, (could use nice LV lamp toroids etc) you get either 5W stereo into 4ohms, or 20W mono in bridge format. Perrt clean power - usually around the 0.2% distortion at sensible power level...couple that up to a decent car speaker in a box, and you have a nice localised sound source. Anyway 5W to 20W is only 6dB, and you can get 6dB by buying a better than average loudspeaker... Not sure what the final application is - I asume some way to spread Jazz FM throughout the house?

Second hand car radioscan be pirated as well.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher