Cheap but reliable circular saw wanted

I don't use circular saws very much but do have a need for one to cut out some boards in the loft and for a possible small project.
Can anyone recommend something from say B&Q, Homebase or Screwfix as all are easy for me to get to. Other sources are not ruled out.
What's with the 'laser' on them? Not sure I can see much of a benefit (having managed without on the old one)but happy to be corrected.
On 28/06/2016 10:34, Mark Allread wrote:

Pretty much any circular saw will work OK. Green Bosch, Evolution, Worx etc.
ALDI have an 18v cordless for £69:99 at the moment, I've just bought one.
Do make up a sawboard;http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Sawboard
It will turn any cheap saw into a precision instrument.
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman

On Tue, 28 Jun 2016 11:13:09 +0100, David Lang wrote:

Thanks.

Why didn't I think of that before: I just used to use a straight edge clamped down after adjusting for blade. This is so much easier (slaps forehead for missing the obvious!)
Mark Allread wrote:

I made a saw-board once, the very next time I used the saw it burnt out! And was the distance from edge of sole-plate to blade on the replacement saw narrower, so I could re-cut it? No, no it wasn't.
So now I have a dymo label on the saw with the offsets from each edge of the sole-plate to each edge of the blade, and use a self-clamping straight edge, if I needed to do a full 8' sheet cut I'd probably get round to making a new saw-board.
On Tue, 28 Jun 2016 05:44:36 -0500, Mark Allread wrote:

The link at the bottom of that page is broken...
The requested URL /powertools/circularsaw.htm was not found on this server.
On 28/06/2016 14:15, Bob Eager wrote:

ok fixed...
--
Cheers,

John.

I have one of these. It's fine. Buy decent blades.
--
Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 33rd day of Confusion in the YOLD 3182
I don't have an attitude problem.
On Tue, 28 Jun 2016 11:13:01 +0000, Huge wrote:

+1. I have the battery one, that shares batteries with the cordless drill.

Would you really buy a cordless circular saw for occasional use? My big circular saw - which gets occasional use - is maybe 30 years old, and still fine. A cordless one would have been replaced several times in that period due to battery failure - even if never used.
--
*Is there another word for synonym?

+1
--
Adam

I did. Got a full set of DeWalt cordless power tools for just $10, brand new, never been used, obviously from a garage sale. Works very well indeed.

Mine that I used to build the house with is rather older than that, more than 40 years old and the switch has failed. Still usable by switching the mains socket but not that convenient.

I don't care when I only paid $10 for a complete set of cordless tools.
And I have at least 4 mains circular saws, 3 big mains cutoff saws too. All except the one I build the house with costing peanuts at garage sales.

Is garage sale what you Oz types call stolen? Doesn't surprise me.
--
*Preserve wildlife - Go pickle a squirrel*

Nope. He got it as a prize and had no use for it himself and was too stupid to work out what it was worth.
I also got a crate of wine which someone else got the same way, for free in that case.
On 6/28/2016 11:13 AM, David Lang wrote:

What he says!
A vote for the Evolution because they have a special blade which, while fine for wood, will also cut aluminium and thin steel sheet. Screwfix had a good deal on them recently but I think it has now expired. On eBay you will find their own site which also sells so-called B-grade machines (presumably returns or ones which failed some QA check?). I have one of their chop saws from this source and it is absolutely fine.

This one that you posted about last month
http://www.screwfix.com/p/s/84664
It's still only £50.
Dunno if you saw my reply to your post but I did buy one (and gave reasons for doing so)
--
Adam

On Tue, 28 Jun 2016 20:03:14 +0100, ARW wrote:

Is yours an extra vote in its favour then?

It most certainly is a vote in favour.
--
Adam

On Tue, 28 Jun 2016 22:13:16 +0100, ARW wrote:

Thanks Adam - looks as if a quick trip to town is on for tomorrow.

If you have bought one then give us your feedback when you have used it.
--
Adam

On Thu, 30 Jun 2016 18:29:42 +0100, ARW wrote:

I was tempeted by the 50 quid Evolution, but the reviews on SF's site are rather mixed re. quality, so feedback would be very useful.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away