CFLs 10 pence each at Dunelm

Hello,

I've just seen Dunelm are selling CFLs ten bulbs for one pound!

They are made by Osram. That's a good make isn't it? They are in 8W (40W equivalent), 60W (11w equivalent), and I think, 14W (75W equivalent).

Has anyone tried them? I was thinking for that price it sounds as if you can't go wrong. Do they light instantly? I once bought some from toolstation (CED brand) that take 30 seconds before they light!

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

Osram are a very good brand, thats a real result.

Your power equivalent figures are rather optimistic though, 4x is more realistic. So 30w, 40w, 60w really.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

And only if you can see in infra-red.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Now the world has gone to bed, Darkness won't engulf my head, I can see by infrared, How I hate the night.

Now I lay me down to sleep, Try to count electric sheep, Sweet dream wishes you can keep, How I hate the night.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

These figures are essentially lies. You may get 4x equivalence if you're lucky, but it's closer to 3x in a lot of cases.

Reply to
Huge

Yep, I concur, 20W CFL from tesco matches a 60W incandescent. I put the crap 8W british gas free ones I've had for 2 years in the cupboard under the stairs. Other half said "it's a bit dark in there !". I put in there so as not to burn my nose when changing the CU last week. They still get pretty hot. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Don't shoot the messenger! I'm just telling you what was on the box.

I have bought some 8w and 11w cfls to try. From my *very limited* experience with a *few* bulbs it seems that the 11w bulbs light instantly whereas the 8w do take a fraction of a second to light. I can't understand why there is this difference between the two "wattages" since they are the same make. However the delay with the 8w bulbs is no worse than the other makes I have used in the past and certainly a lot better than the CED offerings at Toolstation which take 30 seconds to light!

I have used the 8w in small bedrooms and 11w in larger rooms: big bedrooms, lounge, etc. I haven't noticed a difference in light output but I know that cfls are emotive on this newsgroup so all I can say is that this is IMHO and YMMV etc.

11w seems to be a standard rating for CFLs yet the next rating down varies between manufacturers: some offer 8w bulbs and others offer 7w. I wonder why there is this inconsistency. Still I guess 1w per year is probably neither here nor there.

One last question: what is the storage life of CFLs? IE life when sat on a shelf, not plugged in. If I bought a spare box to take advantage of the offer, would they still work in five or ten or twenty years time or does something happen to them with age?

Reply to
Stephen

These won't exist in five years time.

Reply to
john

Oh, I wasn't. I was just warning you not to believe the boxes.

IME, they vary by wattage, make, base (ES or BC) and supplier. It's one of the things I hate about them. I ordered a 25W one from Screwfix for my landing, and was so pleased with it I ordered another for the guest bathroom - you wouldn't think the two were related in any way; the one in the hall lights immediately, is bright and has a good colour - the one in the bathroom flickers when lighting, is dull and greenish coloured. And yet the packing, supplier and wattage was exactly the same.

Reply to
Huge