Ceramic glass hob

Can they be cleaned with conc acid? Or caustic? Looking for an effective cleaner that'll tackle it all.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

If its a Ceramic Induction Hob, I am tempted to say that they do not need much cleaning. Just a wipe down. If you leave a pan on without water you may need to use a cream (plastic bath) cleaner like Cif.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Unless you are used to handling seriously corrosive chemicals it is probably a lot safer to get someone experienced in to do it. The lady who did ours managed to get a caustic burn answering her mobile phone despite using the proper PPE - it only takes a moments distraction.

Strong caustic will get one that has been abused to the point of having

5mm layers of burnt on greasy carbon muck on all the rings which is how our hob was returned to us when we returned home from overseas.

Modest levels should be cleanable with the basic soft cream cleaner sold specifically for ceramic hobs. Anything too aggressive by way of abrasive will potentially weaken it with scratches. It is much better to keep it clean than to allow it to get badly messed up and then nuke it.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Use Flash type cleaner in a trigger pack first, leaving it for five minutes before rinsing.

Failing that, a cream cleaner: I don't know whether the special ones for ceramic hobs are any better (or safer).

Failing that, you can get special scrapers to remove burnt food.

Of course, you should try to avoid a build up.

Reply to
Max Demian

So caustic works, thank you. I'll ignore the condescending stuff.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

What I use is in order is:

1: try wiping it. 2: use caustic on fats 3: use limnseacle remover on dried water 4: use steel pan scourer 5: Use fine grade wet and dry - and T-cut on anything that wont come off any other way. But not often

Ceramic is HARD. steel pan scourers dont scratch it, but tungsten carbide paper does, a little. Hence T cut

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It is your eyesight and your risk of skin burns.

Don't leave it on too long and try to keep it mainly on the carbonised fatty deposits. It will eventually go for the ceramic surface but but any matting will polish out with the normal hob cleaner cream.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Thanks to you & Martin.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Ceramic hobs are very hard. Use a metal scraper to remove burnt-on food, then finish off with Hob Brite - wonderful stuff. [But read the instructions!]

Reply to
Roger Mills

The Achilles heel of the type of glass these hobs are made of are spillages that have a high proportion of Sugar, it causes surface pitting and though it will not affect performance you may never get back to a perfectly smooth surface again, which in turn means it gets grubbier quicker than it once did.

GH

Reply to
Marland