Ceramic Disc Capacitor Value?

I used to mend modems years ago, we used to get some back from Italy with flash-over damage, it was not a problem with the modems from UK users. . It is quite likely that the flash over damage you see was caused by condensation, and that it has nothing to do with the current problem,as the blue-ish copper sulphate-like deposit would take time to form.

It might indicate that a "transorb" or similar device has failed open circuit.

I'd check all the semiconductors or simply replace them all anyway.

you can get all the bits from Grandata they may even do a "repair kit" if it's a popular enough problem.

-they're good on the phone if your not sure what you need

In message , geoff writes

Reply to
Neil J. Harris

The C, apart from the arc burnt leads, looks fine...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The C in question is on the primary (live) side as indicated by the cross-hatching. It could well be across the DC side of the bridge rectifier formed by 4 1N4006 diodes sp will have something like 320V to

340V across it. SMPSU's are scrary things, mains comes in, is bridge rectified and smoothed before feeding the chopper transistors...
Reply to
Dave Liquorice