Ceramic Disc Capacitor Value?

What value is this this Cap,its marked "104K" and is on the bridge rectifier side of power supply of a portable TV.

Its leaky as noticable on the PCB

Thanks.

Reply to
George

Hah! its ok I found its value...

Its 100,000pF

Reply to
George

Means 10 followed by 4 zeros pF, so 100,000pF or 100nF. K means tolerance is +/- 10%.

Reply to
Grunff

In message , George writes

10 with 4 following "0"s in pico farads => 100nF prolly

although capacitor colour codes are historically inconsistent

Reply to
geoff

10 with four zeros pico, so 100000 picoF/ 100nF. Not sure of the K, but I think it is probably the temperature coefficient.
Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

.1uF

Unusual for a ceramic (no liquid to leak)

Geo

Reply to
Geo

Sorry for the high definition.

George

oops! wrong value given,its a '102k' which will be 1000Pf 10%

Reply to
George

Reply to
Andy Burns

No sign of that happend MrBurns and I would have been informed buy the guy if it did.

Reply to
George

By the by I've come up with an ingenious idea that suit other people lie me who repair anything electronic...

My peepers are not up to scratch anymore when it comes to repairing electronic circuit boards and components ie dry joints are sometimes hard to detect PCB tracking fractures ect ect so I am using one of the wireless cameras I bought of ebay which the reciever is connected to a good composite monitor and as the camera can get real close up it reveals the finer dry joints or circuit tracking fractures the naked eye cannot without the help of a magnifier.

So what do think about that? :-)

Reply to
George

What does the underside tracks look like.

-
Reply to
Mark

Dunno? have not vetured that far yet until I aquire the replacement cap,no sense in making work for meself till I have the cap ie they're a pain in the backside removing TV circuit boards especially when its a combo video/TV. :-(

Reply to
George

Not bad...but two dimensional (you lose the stereoscopic effect so no depth perception).

(not that I have stereo vision any more anyway, and surgeons seem to manage)

Reply to
Bob Eager

That was my thought as well. Perhaps a dry joint on t'otherside.

Reply to
The Wanderer

as the camera is attached to a plastic rod and it can get in most inaccessible areas of the chassis whilst the board is in situ. A bright led is attached to the camera body for lighting the way. ;-)

Reply to
George

So he wasn't watching when the cat was caught short while draped over the back of the set...

Geo

Reply to
Geo

I would have thought the cat would have gone Pssst! instead of Purrrr! :-)

Reply to
George

Don't know 'why' it's failed - could be the cap itself or 'something else' - but whatever the reason it managed to get very hot before it failed - the 'deposit' on the board looks like boiled copper from the component lead.

You may find that there are burnt / fused tracks on the underside of the board..... in which case the blown up capacitor may be the least of your problems

Also - the cross-hatching on the PCB indicates (I think) areas which are 'live' and can bite - so take care....

Good luck Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Ingenious, but rather clumsy and expensive for a magnifying glass! Simpler options are supermarket reading glasses (strong, +3.0) or a jeweller's loupe.

Reply to
Mike Barnes