Central heating pipe run length

That is usually why they are set so high, as to compensate for the stat running out.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Legally?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Perhaps you need to plonk yourself outdoors in one of those plantpots you're so fond of and find out for yourself. If you know how to read a thermometer. Which I doubt.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I was thinking of it making the boiler not-as-it-was-approved and therefore, like an Inappropriate Fitting, illegal to use on gas. IANAL and I may be wrong on that though.

Maybe unlikely but I'm thinking worst case: householder goes off skiing for 2 weeks which happen to be coldest on record, frost-"protection" system /does/ extract all heat from the house and everything does freeze up.

Reply to
YAPH

IANAL also... I guess it could break the type approval if there is such a thing as type approval on boilers?

Well in that case either your system or mine is going to fail... The heat lost through the pipework and circulating pump isn't going to be particularly significant compared to the overall heat loss of the building through walls etc. OK in mine it might freeze up a bit earlier but not a lot I would have thought.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Please eff off, you are a plantpot.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

raden (hi geoff! ) could probably tell us since his work is in this field.

Yours would be OK if you had proper frost protection for the house as a whole (e.g. Honeywell progstat with built-in frost protection).

OTOH "my" (conventional) system will give frost protection to the house as well, provided it doesn't get colder in the house than in the garage (or wherever the frost stat is installed), and provided (say) zone valves don't prevent circulation through the house.

And Sod's law says the skiing holiday + coldest-on-record also coincides with the Honeywell's batteries running down, so your system freezes after all :-)

Reply to
YAPH

Having just been watching 'House' it occurs you'd make an excellent subject for him. It would take *very* clever script writers to make sense of your condition.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Please eff off, you are a plantpot.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember YAPH saying something like:

Doing exactly this for a pellet burner in a garage, I used the brass 1" stand-off brackets and had space for two layers of pipe insulation. They weren't as cheap as plastic, iirc about 30c/each, but are dead solid. Mounted on a backing board well screwed to the wall for the length of the pipe run.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Cant you use plastic waste pipe clips? (I've not tried it)

NT

Reply to
meow2222