Central heating - heating comes on even though only water on (according to controller)

Very strange.

Got a heating controller that, basically, you set separate times from heating and water.

At the moment, heating is off. But we still need hot water.

Trouble is radiators still come on even when its off. (But obviously, boiler is running heating the water).

Any ideas?

Not knowing much about it but I assume that in this case something should be telling the system to fire up, heat the water but not send hot water into the rads?

Reply to
paulfoel

I suspect that you possibly don't know if you have S plan or Y plan system. If you have a single motorised valve with three pipes going to it, you have Y plan and the valve is probably stuck or the motor has failed. S plan has two (or more valves) each with two pipes. One will be for hot water and is probably working OK but the heating one (or more) is stuck open. This is not likely to be a motor failure as the motor opens it and a spring closes it. Most likely a stuck valve.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

The trouble with this is you don't say if it's always been like that, or it's a fault that has occurred recently. Perhaps you have just moved in.

Just because the programmer appears to be able to control the CH and DHW independently, doesn't mean that the actual plumbing configuration can deliver that, it's particularly true of old gravity fed systems, not that there are too many still around.

Are there any 2-port or 3-port motorised valves in the system

Reply to
Graham.

The chances are that you have a problem with the 3 way valve. That's not definitive, but it's got a much better than 50-50 chance of being right.

Reply to
GB