Creaking waste pipe

I suspect this is expansion it sounds like an expansion noise that from zero accelerates as water runs out then deaccelerates as it cools, noise stops after a couple of minutes. Thats what I think it is. It is the pipes in an upstairs bathroom If I have shower with the bath plug in there is no noise but when I pull the plug out the noise starts as this is hot water from the shower I suspect expansion noises, if I half fill the bath with cold water and drain there is no noise. So when I get the enthusiasm to have a look under the bath what should I be looking for and how to fix the noise. If its an expansion noise can it be fixed? Never had thisin my last house and the problem here is I can hear it from my bedroom which is now beginning to annoy me.

Reply to
ss

If the pipe is tight onto some woodwork, try to work some sort of wading (old style underlay, rockwool, strip from an old towel) between pipe and wood.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Or spray with WD40

Reply to
harryagain

Or sprinkle it with talcum powder, better still move the pipe so it's clear or remove some of the wood. Constant movement against something will wear through the pipe eventually.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Thanks guys, its a 2 minute job to take the bath panel off and spray with WD40 whatever I can see, if that helps I have then found the problem and can sort it properly later.

Reply to
ss

Took the bath panel off and there is no contact with wood or anything else the waste goes directly (via u bend) into the downpipe. I sprayed it all with wd40 anyhow and will see if it makes any change.

Reply to
ss