Central Heating control cable from Screwfix

I'm putting together a Screwfix order with loads of bits to convert my CH system from gravity-fed to fully pumped over the Easter weekend. I will need a load of multi-way (5way?) cable to go from the motorized valves, programmer, thermostats and boiler back to the 10-way junction box. Various search terms arn't finding the cable on Screwfix's website. Does anyone know if they stock it and what they describe it as or a part number?

I also can't find 22mm > 3/4" adaptors (solder preferably). Surely they stock these?

Many thanks,

Alan.

Reply to
Alan

I don't think Screwfix do it...

TLC do 4, 5 and 7 core

stevelup

Screwfix don't sell imperial adaptors but plumbers merchants do. Some say 22mm and 3/4" are interchangeable, providing you use a lot of solder. However I tried this method and failed! (The joint leaked everywhere).

You can however wedge 1/2" pipe into 15mm fittings - even I managed this okay.

Anyway 22mm > 3/4" adaptors are available online at

for

54p each + VAT or at a sky high fee (from memory, =A31.50 each I paid I think!) from your local plumbers merchant.

Luke

Reply to
Wingedcat

> Steve

Thanks. I tried a bit of googling and found that Toolstation stock a 6 way cable in the correct core colours cleaper than TLC's 5 way (Stock code

97675 - £26.96 for 50m)

I notice the also have 2 Port Motorised Valves for £28.70 - considerably cheaper than the Honeywell's from Screwfix at £43.99 - however they don't specify a brand. Are these likely to be cheap for a reason and best avoided?

Alan.

Reply to
Alan

Noticed my B&Q sold heat resistant 5 core cable recently at a rip off, but available on the shelf now price.

Reply to
Ian_m

"Alan" wrote

Watch out for Part P. Applicable to power or control wiring for new CH system.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Ah, but it's not a "new" CH system, just the old one modernised a bit ;-)

Alan.

Reply to
Alan

Yes, officially it comes under the dreaded Part P. But violations are unlikely to be detected unless you succeed in burning your house down.

Reply to
Roger Mills

I had trouble getting what I wanted in less than a full reel. In the end I got it from the local plumber's merchant!

Reply to
Bob Eager

But if he burns the house down there won't be any evidence, will there?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

They're Tower brand which is generally crap. I quite like the Sunvic ones from B&Q - not too expensive and easily removable (pull-off) heads so you can easily reverse them and quickly check the working of the wet and dry parts.

Reply to
John Stumbles

IIRC Toolstation also do 22mm x 3.4" but only in packs of 25 or so.

Reply to
John Stumbles

I'm not sure I'd use multi-core flex for all that unless the components are close. For things like the programmer and thermostat which are usually some way off, Triple and Earth can be a better bet as you'll probably need a drum of that for other uses. Multi-core is only really needed for extending things like 3 way valve wiring, or to the actual boiler.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 11:06:22 GMT, "Alan" mused:

The valves will come with flex attached.

The programmer would be better wired in fixed wiring cable, like twin and earth and 3 core and earth.

See programmer.

See thermostats. Add a flex outlet and pattress to near the boiler for transition from fixed wiring to flexible.

If any flexes aren't long enough then a flex outlet by it and an extension in twin and eareth\3 core and earth is fine. Excessively long runs of flexible cables are deemed to be a bodge.

Reply to
Lurch

Interesting, I'd assumed using twin & earth or 3 core + earth would have been considered the bodge! The valves will be within a meter of the main junction box, but boiler, stats and programmer won't be. I do have a reel of 3 core + earth in the garage however, so I could just use that then.

Thanks,

Alan.

Reply to
Alan

"Alan" wrote

True, but I used the "new system" argument to get a certificate for my install when it was done recently just in case.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 00:11:45 +0100, "Alan" mused:

As long as final connections are in flex then no bodge.

Why not.

Reply to
Lurch

Depends on how thorough a job he makes of it!

Reply to
Roger Mills