Ceiling fan for drying washing

I saw a suggestion some time ago that instead of using a tumbler drier one should save energy by installing a ceiling fan over an indoor line of washing.

Does anyone do this?

And if so, does anyone know where one can get a reasonably small ceiling fan? The ones I hae seen advertised are all too large, and come down too far (2 ft or so) from the ceiling, at least for my utility room.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

Nope. Certainly not in the wither it won't work either you'll end up with internal damp problems.

You wand a dehumidifier, clothes horse, and a "tent" (I made mine out of bubble wrap to enclose the "system" and complete the package) (some use a small cupboard)

B&Q should do you for most things. You could make a "tent" from anything like Builders polythene and duct tape etc to make your mini eco-system.

:¬)

Pete

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

It works well, but there are a couple of downsides. First no-one wants a room fan running in winter, makes it feel colder. 2nd the water content is dumped into the air.

A better solution is to combine the fan with this:

a utility room or large wrdrobe

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Ceiling huggers dont come down far. B&Q do 2' caged fans which can be used for low ceiling heights. But a big fan on min speed is always going to be quieter.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I saw some on sale in B&Q recently which were simple and neat all-white fans with no underslung lights and no decoration - just a clean, low profile, minimalist white fan.

I can't recall the price but in the same bargain bin were some really chintzy fans with decorated blades and an underslung chandelier. Unbelievably tacky, they were selling for a fraction of the price of the neat white one.

The neat one came to about 12 inches below ceiling level. I daresay you could shorten the stem, but there must be a minimum amount of room needed above the fan to supply it with air without causing it to wobble.

Reply to
Bruce

I'm not sure how good an idea this is. You will have to accept the risk of the room suffering from the dampness, and ensure that it is vented to the exterior.

However, if all you really need to do is stir the air, around washing on some form of airier, you can probably get a freestanding fan quite cheaply now, as "summer" stock is being shifted. For instance:

" pedestal fan for £6.99

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon